View Single Post
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
twister6
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Default Review of Seidio CONVERT S4 case with holster w/lots of pics!!!

This is a review of Seidio CONVERT case for Samsung Galaxy S4: SEIDIO | Convert Add-on Kit for Samsung GALAXY S4

For those familiar with CONVERT line of Seidio cases, this is going to be another familiar face. Following a proven formula of if ain't broken (and selling well) don't fix it - CONVERT case for S4 is identical to other Siedio CONVERT cases.

The case itself is designed as two cases in one. A lot of you might be familiar with Seidio SURFACE, also available as Platinum case from Best Buy, and Seidio ACTIVE. Now imagine two of these cases combined together with over-sized ACTIVE as an additional protection layer on top of SURFACE - and you will get CONVERT. Since I already reviewed SURFACE in this forum (Review of Seidio SURFACE (BB Platinum) w/2 holster types with lots of pics!!!), I will not go into details again of this hard rubberized "slim" case with a unique interlocking two-half design. So let's look into details of CONVERT "conversion".

To take it to the next level, you get a soft silicon layer which goes right over SURFACE case. Beside offering an extra layer of shock absorption, it also adds a decent grip and port covers for micro-usb and headphones as well as sealing off volume/power button. Since its a silicon layer, power/volume buttons are easy to press and you get nice tactile feedback. Another unique feature - camera/flash gets a port cover as well. The camera port flips back and locks into the outer exoskeleton so you can take pictures without holding it down with another hand. Plus, there is a cutout for SURFACE case kickstand to open up without any obstruction. I do have to note - soft silicon is a lint magnet, not because it's sticky but due to build up static. That's something you will have to live with. Although silicon layer goes on SURFACE with a tight fit, you get another hard plastic outer shell on top of it. That shell offers cutout for kickstand and camera/flash port cover, as well as offering additional corner protection for the case. Silicon layer sides of the case remain open thus continue providing a very good grip of the case.

And to top it off, you get a specially designed CONVERT holster for the phone facing with a screen in and out! On my Note 2 it was only facing in, while on S4 you can put it facing out which is great since you can lean the case inside of the holster to prop it horizontally to watch movies/tv, etc. It's a heavy duty plastic holster with a signature spring loaded mechanism which as a bonus offers a latch to lock it up for extra security. Furthermore, there is another locking mechanism in the middle of the holster behind the belt clip which allows for a belt clip to be removed. I haven't seen any additional info about the purpose of removing this belt clip, but in a back of my mind I'm wondering if Seidio is still planning to introduce other accessories to be attached to this belt clip since you are left with 3 tabs after it's removed.

Overall, this is a VERY impressive case design with a big bonus of two cases in one where you can choose what level of protection you would like for your S4. With addition of very robust (landscape only) kickstand and best in class holster - I would definitely recommend CONVERT! If you already have SURFACE, its not a brainer to get this one.

Now, here comes the pictures.

Complete List of all smartphone and tablet Accessory and Gadget REVIEWS by Twister => HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following User Says Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
Atma (June 14th, 2013)