View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #36 (permalink)
rushmore
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): S4, iPad Air, Note 2014 10.1, Dell V11 5130, Nvidia Shield. Yes- too many devices.
Carrier: VZW

Thanked 1,372 Times in 961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkaboutDavid View Post
I am surprised at how hot this sucker gets. This morning, using it via WiFi to answer emails and I can feel the heat rising through the screen. I would not say it is uncomfortable to hold at all, but this phone is kind of toasty.

My Moto Androids ran very warm too (especially the Droid 2G). With my Droid 3, I found that adding an extended battery helped.

Anyway, I hope this is not going to be an issue.

Last night, I was out with a buddy who has an S3 and I asked him if he liked it. Interestingly, his main complaint was heat.

Thoughts?
As mentioned in this thread before the merge:

The S3 gets hot and the chipset uses the same exact fabrication process as the S4. Logic suggests a device that already runs hot (depending on use) will get hotter if a faster chipset and the gpu is pushing data to over twice the pixels.

The soon to release 800 is the first true evolution of the Qualcomm family, since a lot faster and a smaller micron fabrication process (less heat caused by resistance). That is unless it is clocked so high the fabrication process is offset by the faster speed, so still runs hot.

I wonder if the S4 refresh with this chipset will go beyond Korea? Some people assumed it was just the LTE radio that was updated for this chipset. Not correct.
Last edited by rushmore; June 20th, 2013 at 01:08 PM.