View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2013, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
ironass
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,398 Posts

#3.1. I'm rooted... now what?

Now that you are rooted you can start thinking about installing custom ROM's, kernels and modems as well as, "freezing", some of the, "bloatware" that comes with your phone.

See, Echoe Kit Kat v.2.2 for the GT-i9505

See, DjeMBeY ROM's for the GT-i9505

See, Echoe Rom v.5 FULL and SLIM for the GT-i9505

See, Omega v14.1, JB 4.2.2 for the GT-i9500

See, WanamLite Fast | Clean & Rock Stable for the GT-i9500

See, Bloatware removal - Dummies Guide

See, GPS Fix - Dummies Guide

#3.2. What App's should I install

There are a number of app's that you can install from the Market to aid and enhance your modding experience now that you are rooted.

Titanium Backup and Pro key.

A, “must have”, app for making scheduled and selected backups and restores for apps and settings that can be used across different ROM’s. It also allows you to, “freeze”, the system, “bloatware”, that comes with your phone.

Root Explorer (File Manager)

Allows access to the phone’s system folders on rooted phones. I advise installing this app after rooting and using it to navigate to the, "/efs", file in the root directory of the phone and making a copy of this and putting it on both your external SD card and PC as its loss or corruption in future could render your phone unusable and require a Samsung repair.

#3.3. IMPORTANT: You should now make a nandroid, Titanium and /efs file backups after rooting.

Android System Info.

This app gives an all-in-one readout of your system. Very useful.

BetterBatteryStats.

A great app for tracking down what is actually using your battery.

CPU Spy.

This is a simple app to display the time the CPU spends in each frequency state. This can be a useful tool in diagnosing battery problems or tweaking your over-clock settings. It also displays the current kernel information.

BusyBox.

A must have for any rooted phone! Almost EVERY rooted applications needs BusyBox to perform their magic, if you have a rooted phone then you need BusyBox.

Mobile ODIN Pro

Mobile ODIN is the on-device firmware flasher of choice. Just throw those firmware files on your (internal or external) SD card, start Mobile ODIN and flash away.

Phone INFO

Have you ever wanted to know the Country of Origin? When the phone was manufactured? Do you want to know the Knox Warranty Void status without entering to the Download Mode?... Then this app is for you

GS4 Wipe Scripts

This suite of, currently, 7 scripts by Hawker are another must for modders and ROM flashers. They offer a quick reliable way of cleaning your system in preparation for installing ROM's, kernels and mods and can help prevent a lot of problems by correctly preparing your phone. Particularly useful is the GS4CacheWipe which can resolve bootloops from flashing.

Continued in next post...

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure"

If someone has helped you then be polite and select their Thanks button.
The "Search this Thread" button is your friend.

Dummies Guides Rooting Galaxy S4 * Know Your S4 * Update Problems * Knox Security * Bloatware * GPS
Last edited by ironass; March 28th, 2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: phone info added
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
anoniemouse (April 16th, 2014), Atma (June 21st, 2013), dynomot (September 1st, 2013), Hawker (August 30th, 2013), Rudedawg (July 6th, 2013), Seinen (November 19th, 2013), Shotgun84 (July 25th, 2013), sntaylor (June 22nd, 2013), sulasno (July 27th, 2013), tworn88 (June 28th, 2013), worldgonemad (November 24th, 2013)