View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2013, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
ironass
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): SGS5 SM-G900F. Rooted. KitKat 4.4.2 NG7 NEAT ROM. Baseband: NG8. KT kernel+PhilZ recovery.
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanked 3,907 Times in 2,576 Posts

Tips for using this Dummies Guide.

I have tried to keep this, "Dummies Guide", as simple and easy to understand as possible for absolute beginners, with no prior knowledge of Android and the Samsung Galaxy S4, whilst trying to cover the most commonly asked questions about rooting.

#4.1. Please take the time to read posts #1, #2 and #3 carefully and thoroughly before posting a question as they should contain most of the answers you require.

#4.2. If a reply to a question states, "See, #1.7". It means that the answer to your query is already contained in post #1, item #7. Re-read that item again, carefully, and it should answer your question and saves the time and trouble of having to repeat things all over again.

#4.3. When posting a question you must include your phone model version and firmware details, see #1.2 and #1.3 of 28 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?, to avoid confusion. If you have used another method to try and root your phone, other than the one in posts #1 and #2 of this thread, could you please post a link as this may help in discovering your problem.

#4.4. Please, please, please, help keep this thread on topic. It is designated for the actual rooting of your phone and not for general questions about custom kernels, custom ROMs, modems, Kies connection problems, apps, ROM Manager, nandroid backups and restores, etc: There are other threads on the forum for that or you can start one of your own.

#4.5. Please do not PM me with rooting questions. I will not reply. Ask them on the forum so that others may benefit from the questions and answers.

#4.6. WARNING

Rooting your phone could, in theory, void your warranty. Also, in most cases, you will no longer be able to update your phone via Kies or OTA, (Over The Air), and will need to flash ROM's via Odin or CWM Recovery... which is probably why you rooted anyway!

Whilst I have taken every care in compiling this guide, I cannot be held responsible for any damage that may occur through its use, or mis-use, and the decision to use this guide lies with you, the owner.

This guide is written solely for, and on behalf of, Android Forums and may not be reproduced, in part or whole, without permission.

THANKS

My thanks go to the following for their help and contributions to this guide:-

Chainfire for the kernels and original instructions. Feel free to make a donation to Chainfire.

Phil3759 for his kernel and instructions. Feel free to make a donation to Phil3759.

To our very own Hawker, for his Kies troubleshooting guide.

To Nokia7Vista, olis4 and FastGSMServer for their videos.

To all the Android Forum posters whose posts I have plundered in an attempt to organise a definitive guide.

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure"

If someone has helped you then be polite and select their Thanks button.
The "Search this Thread" button is your friend.

Dummies Guides Rooting Galaxy S4 * Know Your S4 * Update Problems * Knox Security * Bloatware * GPS
Last edited by ironass; July 17th, 2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: update
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
anoniemouse (April 16th, 2014), Atma (June 21st, 2013), dynomot (August 29th, 2013), Hawker (August 30th, 2013), johnj7373 (September 10th, 2013), Kie (June 7th, 2014), lotus49 (July 4th, 2013), Mikestony (June 23rd, 2013), Rudedawg (July 5th, 2013), Seinen (November 19th, 2013), Shotgun84 (July 25th, 2013), sntaylor (June 22nd, 2013), sulasno (July 27th, 2013), worldgonemad (November 24th, 2013)