View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
ironass
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts
Default Bloatware removal - Dummies Guide

Please read carefully.

Bloatware is the name given to in-built app's that carriers and, or, handset manufacturers add to the stock Android firmware. At best, some of them can just clutter up your app drawer and at worst they can slow your phone down and use up your battery by running in the background constantly.

Remember... one persons bloatware can be another persons, "must have" app.

Some bloatware can be got rid of by rooting and flashing a generic, (non-carrier), stock firmware. This can rid you of a particular operators app's that you may not use or want. Also, you can flash custom ROM's that are, "Lite", or, "Super Slim", and have a lot of bloatware removed by default.

Alternatively, there is some bloatware that can be disabled in...

Settings > More > Application Manager > ALL (see screenshot)

However, you cannot remove all the built-in app's that carriers and manufacturers include in their firmwares by using Disable or Uninstall.

To prevent these from running you will need to do the following:-

1. This guide is for rooted phones.

To root your phone, see here:-

Rooting Galaxy S4 - Dummies Guide

2. If you haven't already, you will need to download and install Titanium Backup, free, from the Google Play Store, here.

3. You will also need to download and install Titanium Backup PRO Key, about 4.49p (US$6.90/5.30) from the Google Play Store (you cannot "freeze" app's without this PRO key). See, here.

(Note. There are other apps that claim to freeze/remove bloatware, such as, Root App Delete and System App Freezer & Remover, but if you are rooted you should have Titanium Backup usually on your phone anyway.)

4. Once both of these app's are installed you will need to run a full Backup. It is also advisable to run a nandroid backup in recovery as well, before making any changes.

Titanium Backup > Backup/Restore > Select icon at top right of screen for backup options.

5. Once step 4 has been completed you can navigate to:-

Titanium Backup > Backup/Restore

where you will be presented with a list of all the app's and processes on your handset.

6. You can then go down the list and stop any process from running by "Freezing" it. This does not remove the app but, as it says, freezes it to prevent it from operating again until it is unfrozen. Freezing is a safer option than uninstalling as you may need a particular process in the future or you may uninstall something that you did not mean to.

7. To freeze an app just tap on it and a Menu will be displayed with the Freeze! option. Just tap this.

8. To unfreeze an app just repeat step 7 and select Defrost!

9. Sytem app's are shown in red in the Titanium list. Some of these are essential for the phone's operation. DO NOT FREEZE THESE WITHOUT CHECKING STEP 10!
(Only a moron would freeze or remove a system app without first checking or knowing what it does... and probably is not qualified to own a, "smart", phone.)

10. To see if it is safe or advisable to freeze an app you should first check the list here:-

Galaxy S4 Application Database

(Be advised that this database is still under construction)

11. App's shown in red on this list should not usually be frozen. Green apps can be safely frozen. Those in yellow/buff/orange can be frozen using caution as other processess may rely on them. For instance, I have K-9 mail installed and use it to download and send my Gmail. Therefore I have frozen the Gmail app so that it does not appear in my app drawer or run. I have also frozen Messaging as I use Handcent which does not require Messaging support as it is standalone as well as Internet as I am using Chrome.

12. To monitor what is running on your phone:-

Settings > More > Application manager > Running & cached

If in doubt... do not freeze it!

Whilst I have taken every care in compiling this guide, I cannot be held responsible for any damage that may occur through its use, or mis-use, and the decision to use this guide lies with you, the owner.

This guide is written solely for, and on behalf of, Android Forums and may not be reproduced, in part or whole, without permission.

Thanks go to Rahulrulez of xda forums for his spreadsheet.

Dummies Guides Rooting Galaxy S4 * Know Your S4 * Update Problems * Knox Security * Bloatware * GPS
Last edited by ironass; July 3rd, 2013 at 05:39 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
Bstressfree (July 9th, 2013), CafeKampuchia (December 16th, 2013), dorian56 (April 9th, 2014), JWaldenback (August 16th, 2013), marcus33 (January 12th, 2014), Rudedawg (July 5th, 2013), shmn (November 14th, 2013), sntaylor (June 27th, 2013), Sydney99 (June 27th, 2013)