View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:56 PM   #147 (permalink)
EarlyMon
The PearlyMon
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 56,265 Times in 22,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlin95123 View Post
I use this app on my phone too. But I'd like to note the following. WiFi performance problem can be caused by other WiFi APs or non-WiFi signal sources. One should try to address WiFi AP interference first.

There are only 3 non-overlapping channels in the 2.4GHz band. They are CH1, CH6, and CH11. In other words, APs in CH2 and CH3 can interfere with CH1. APs in CH4, CH5, CH7, and CH8 can interfere with CH6. Finally, APs in CH 9 and CH10 can interfere with CH11. Try to use one of them that does not have other APs which can cause problems.

It is important to note that one would get worse interference from APs in adjacent channels than directly on top of each other. For example, if you are on CH6, an AP in CH4, CH5, CH7, or CH8 can give you worse interference than if that AP is also on CH6. This is because the MAC layer protocol can avoid mid-air collision if the two APs are on the same channel.

Lastly, one has to consider interference from non-WiFi sources as well. In a field trouble shooting project, we found that a wireless surveillance camera greatly impacted the WiFi throughput performance. We had to manually switched the channel to avoid the interference.

Hope this helps.
I've consistently found slower throughput and terrible voip phone performance with directly overlapping channels, as well as lower signal strength. Collison management seems to always come at price.

In any case, get away from the neighbors.

100% agree about watching out for other radio interference.

I'm seh, below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1372809325940.jpg (41.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1372809349901.jpg (44.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1372809369460.jpg (41.0 KB, 7 views)

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Links: Site Rules / Guidelines -and- Zero Tolerance Policy (All Members Read)

For right-on help, the Thanks button is on the right of the post.
For anything out in left field, the /!\ report button is to the left.

Remember, it's our forums and we're all in this together - so let's keep it cool!

Shoot the breeze at the best new gun forum!
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
marctronixx (July 2nd, 2013)