Thread: Should I root?
View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
amandagconaway
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy s4
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
Some of the advantages
  • You can update system files that will permit you to use your hotspot functionality for free (not discussing legality of doing that)
  • You can install applications that will block ads on your phone (web browsing, ad free - wheee!)
  • You can customize your phone to your heart's content (want to change battery icon? want to change whether day of week shows up in status bar? etc)
  • You can backup any or all of your apps (including game data, and progress)
  • You can freeze (or even uninstall) bloat apps
  • You can flash custom ROMs or kernels that may give you more functionality than what the stock ROM does.
  • You can flash other root only updates that will let you do pretty neat things (like deny specific permissions for specific apps, or change DPI settings for specific apps etc)
  • Your carrier may delay OS updates, but the developers out there will almost always get you to the latest Android OS much faster (unless you own a Google play Nexus device)
  • many more....

Disadvantages
  • Most of these updates are from individual developers, so if it screws up your phone, don't expect your carrier to help you out. (Most Devs do provide a LOT of details of what to do, and what NOT to do, and are helpful if you run into issues)
  • Also, some of these ROMs/apps/updates may not be as stable as what the manufacturer provides.
  • Once you root, and make system changes, you can't really get any OTA updates from manufacturer/carrier. (unless you go back to stock first). But there are plenty of good ROMs out there, that get updated pretty fast.

One of my favorite things to do is customize, I like to be unique and have things on my phone that none of my friends have, I am pretty bored with the standard s4 layout in general.