View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
ironass
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowie86 View Post
I've been reading rooting guides for weeks and this is definitely one of the best. I'm totally new to Android phones, the only thing I don't like about my S4 is not being able to store apps completely on the memory card. I have a few questions that weren't covered off above.

1. Does the phone have to be unlocked from the network before you can root it?
2. Do you need to modify a "bootloader" at any stage?
3. How many of the above steps (rooting, custom recovery, custom ROM) do I have to complete before I can move apps fully to my SD card? Just rooting?
4. My baseband version was recently updated to I9505XXUBMEA - do we know if the above guide will still work?
5. I've read that some phones have "unrootable" kernals. My current version is 3.4.0-768421 - again, does that kernal version set off alarm bells?
6. Is there a way to find out if I definitely have Snapdragon?
7. I've read other guides where it says you can still get updates thru KEIS and OTA post-root. Does following this guide definitely mean all future updates will have to be manually thru Odin?

Sorry for double-checking every detail. I'm just very weary of breaking my phone and not being able to get it sorted under warranty. I don't want to "flash in haste, repent at leisure"! My other details are below, just in case.

Samsung S4 GT-I9505
Android 4.2.2
Baseband as above
Network: O2
Kernal as above

I've wanted to do this for weeks now (phone is already full with apps/games that can't currently be moved to the SD) but, like I say, I'm scared of "bricking" my phone.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated!
Hello and welcome to Android Forums cowie86!

Lets just run through the answers to your questions...

1. No

2.No

3. Depends on the method you intend using to fully move apps. Stock firmware from MEA onwards will move the app but not the data. Maybe a forum post can help. See #4.4

4. Yes. Your modem is not affected.

5. No

6. All GT-i9505's have Qualcomm APQ8064T Snapdragon 600. See, here.

7. Just rooting your phone should mean that you will still be able to update.

Dummies Guides Rooting Galaxy S4 * Know Your S4 * Update Problems * Knox Security * Bloatware * GPS