View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #39 (permalink)
divinebovine
AF Contributor

Device(s): Kyocera Rise, Kyocera Hydro, PCD/ZTE/Alcatel Virgin Mobile Venture/JukeB
Carrier: Not Provided

Send a message via AIM to divinebovine Send a message via MSN to divinebovine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
they've also recently started copying Apple verbatim lately. Device Manager (Find my iPhone), cloud-based backup/music/books (iCloud, iTunes, iBooks). i am seeing this becoming a disturbing trend. it's like to make Android appeal to the masses they have to make their latest products a harsh reminder of iDevices. i am already hearing rumors that Android 5.0 is going to have a pretty slim UI based off of Google Now (Siri) with cards and such, a dark harking to the slim-pickings of iOS with the look and feel of the long-dead WebOS. I wouldn't put it past 'em to even lock it down where custom launchers no longer work.
Android came out because there was a place in the market for the opposite of Apple. Now with Android Appleifying, will a new competitor emerge and do what Android did?

Quote:
SD Cards and removable storage are very important. if cloud-services (Dropbox included) go away, so does your data.
You really should have it backed up somewhere other than your phone. The day your phone, SD card and all, falls off the boat to the bottom of the ocean or gets run over by a truck or whatever is inevitably the day that Dropbox goes away. Either synchronize with a second cloud storage service or local storage at a computer.

Quote:
The stylus. once thought to be gone (finally) in favor of more accurate touch-screens with capacitive input is once again showing a sign of return. i'm already seeing folks sporting the Note and tapping with a stylus. none of them artists. but they all remind me of Palm Pilot users or those sporting a Newton. if the stylus comes back, what's that saying for the progress of touchscreens?
Are these styli required, or can you still use your finger?

Quote:
i thought the days of buying cheap MP3 players, which required drivers and a laptop or desktop computer to load the music onto them,
Every cheap MP3 player I've ever had used standard USB Mass Storage drivers. Proprietary drivers and cost kept me away from the more expensive ones, but the cheap ones never required any drivers. Plus, just like with phones, I bought MP3 players that have SD slots.

Haven't bought one in forever, the old ones are still working fine thanks to SD slots and standard AAA batteries. Got a free one once with an integrated rechargeable battery...used it for a year and then it died, now it's a brick. Folks, that's why guys like nick and I don't like the stuff we're ranting about in here.

Quote:
perhaps they want to cater to folks who would choose that other company over Android somehow. but by doing so they're making their loyal customers a bit peeved, myself included.
Yup, they are chasing those customers. They already have all of the other kind of customers. Where are we going to go if they make changes that we don't like? Is there a competitor offering what we want? Not yet, but if one arrives then we will have that choice available and you can then expect Android to offer better options again.

Quote:
Personally the reasons Google has stated for not having an SD slot are crap, and only idiots would believe them (it's too complicated and folks won't be able to tell internal from external storage..lolwut?)
Call me an idiot then, but I work in IT and I know how the general population operates. They don't even know their backside from a hole in the ground, let alone where their data is. It's probably my biggest concern about uers, they never know where their data is, ever. "It's in Word" is the most common statement.

Quote:
Seriously, this dumbing down has to stop.
It's the natural progression of things. Everything gets dumbed down more and more. In 400 years we'll be able to hop into a previously unencountered alien's ship with a language that's not even compatible with our brains and still figure out how to pilot it, repair its warp engines, etc...haven't you been watching Star Trek? It's not just that these characters are the best in Starfleet, it's also that interfaces everywhere are severely dumbed down.

110GB free at Surdoc! Or 2.5GB @ Dropbox. Or 20GB @ Copy. For Android backup, 1.3GB @ GCLoudBackup.com - just enter code DHY4B2. Bonuses at dozens of other cloud storage services.