View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #43 (permalink)
dirks
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by americonium View Post
I bet that if you remove the camera, put it in a 3-D scanning bed, and print out a piece of plastic in the exact shape, you could put that printed piece back into the phone, therefore, keeping it safe from crap getting into the phone. I really want to see you get your phone safely altered, and if you have access to that sort of equipment, I don't see why it couldn't be done. I'll tell you what. I should have my phone on Friday. I will try to get you a better plan than drilling it out or destroying it. I would think that if it were modular, you could take it out, store it somewhere, and later, say for a vacation, you could re-install it. Let's get this thing done properly. Like they say at Makezine, if you can't open it, you don't own it.
That's the way I am thinking of it. I don't have access to a 3-D scanning bed, but the camera module is just a simple nearly cubic element. I thought of manually cutting some foam to the right dimensions to fill the space. I haven't yet decided how to close the hole in the back cover.

Re-installing the camera for vacation is an option.