View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mr. Lucky
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy S4 (rooted), Galaxy Tab 10.1 (rooted), Nexus 7 (stock)
Carrier: Not Provided

Post No-app-required Flashlight

Did you know that the S4 is capable of placing a flashlight widget or app shortcut on your homescreen without having to access an app to activate it each time? And I'm not referring to the built-in 2x1 "Assitive light" widget either. This is a 1x1 widget or normal app shortcut that once configured, can be deleted and will use the volume up & volume down to turn on/off. Read on.

For the widget (there's no advantage to doing it this way… only included for the sake of completeness), you have to be running a 3rd-party launcher like Apex and add the "Activities" widget from the drawer (see below). It isn't shown in the stock Touchwiz drawer, and isn't available from the long-press "Add" menu in any launcher (that I'm aware of). Next, you will be presented a scrolling window of system activities. Expand the option for Settings, and scroll all the way down. The one you want is the very last option, Torch light. You will then open to your homescreen, with the newly added widget visible. Press it to access the setup menu. Check the box for enable, and then the press arrow next to time-out. An overlay window will appear, with time choices between 15 secs and 10mins before the light automatically shuts off. It doesn't mention, but a quick tap of the vol-down button will turn the light off instantly. The menu screens are shown below.

For the app shortcut method (this will work with stock Touchwiz), download xShortcut FREE.
Open the app, then: System Settings > Complete List (at bottom) > scroll to last entry, torchlight.TorchlightSettings
From there, the directions and menus are identical to the widget description above, and as illustrated below. Once you've set it up via either method, the desktop icon is no longer needed and may be deleted if desired.

I'm surprised this isn't documented anywhere, because it seems like a very practical solution. Think about it… if you need a flashlight, it's probably because it's dark. If it's dark, the last thing you want to be doing is fumbling with your phone, unlocking the screen, finding the app, etc. I hope someone finds this as useful as I did.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2013-08-16-19-16-33.png (369.9 KB, 129 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2013-08-16-12-28-33.png (58.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2013-08-16-12-28-45.png (76.9 KB, 105 views)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Lucky For This Useful Post:
Don S (August 31st, 2013), droidraf (September 3rd, 2013), Gomjaba (August 30th, 2013), jejb (October 27th, 2013), Krusing (August 17th, 2013), lotus49 (August 18th, 2013), OstrichSaK (August 30th, 2013), thecrunked (August 22nd, 2013), TheyCallMeBT (October 29th, 2013)