View Single Post
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Mr. Lucky
AF Contributor
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 5 (rooted), Galaxy Tab 10.1 (rooted), Nexus 7 (stock)
Carrier: Not Provided

Yes, it's a system shortcut, but one that's not accessible any other way. It took me awhile to figure out why it wasn't working for some, but I think I found the problem. It looks like the "turn phone over to mute/pause" function is mutually exclusive with the torch function working reliably. When I enabled it, long-pressing the vol-up only turned on the flashlight about 50% of the time. When I disabled it, it worked 100% of the time.

For those that are interested and have this problem, try following the instructions here to set the mute/pause function OFF. Once you reboot your phone, it should work fine (mine did anyway). I originally thought the mute function silenced your phone if it was face down. I figured it would be easier than unlocking the phone, swiping the notification bar, and then setting it on silent or vibrate every time I went into a meeting. But it doesn't work that way; it only silences (or pauses the music player) if you place the phone face-down while the sound is playing. That renders the feature useless to me, since it doesn't help when I go into meetings, and when I'm at the gym excercising I often place the phone face down to hear the music clearly from the rear speakerů but doing so pauses the music, doh! Just decide which feature is more important to. Again, this should have been documented somewhere, but it's not. Sorry for the confusion.