View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
tweakyleaks

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2, Samung Galaxy Tab 7 2
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
I reluctantly signed up for a GMail account when I got my first Android phone--because I HAD to in order to really do anything, like install apps.

But I never use that address for anything. AND I only access it via my e-mail client, so even if I did choose to send mail to someone from that account (and I never have), it wouldn't pass through Google's hands. It goes directly from my computer, through my outgoing mail server (I have Earthlink) and to the recipient. The only incoming mail I ever receive at that address is from Google (like a receipt for a Play Store purchase).

People I know who do use their GM accounts for real mail, I try to encourage to stop using the GM interface and instead use a real e-mail client to send and receive mail.
If you would send mail using your Gmail account through your Earthlink server, it would pass through their hands. And then, when the recipient replies to your Gmail, he is likely to quote your original text. But you never do, so this is hypothetical. Nevertheless, thought it worth mentioning.