View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:52 PM   #787 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,361 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Hrm... I've seen that kind of problem before, where Ubuntu won't let you do things.

Wish I could remember exactly what I did to circumvent it.
I've been using *buntu since its first release and have yet to come up across ANYTHING it wouldn't let me do. Linux commands are Linux commands. Ubuntu doesn't cripple its versions of Linux commands--they're compliant with the current iteration of Linux commands.

If you're coming up against something where "Ubuntu won't let you do things," it's not Ubuntu...

Quote:
You could try sudo chown -R [username] [folder] where the username is you and the folder name is the top folder of the unzipped archive. Then try moving it. Don't forget you will have to change the owner back to root if this method works.

Oh! I think I cheated-- I booted up the machine into a Live CD (could have been Ubuntu, perhaps even DSL) and then moved the files on the hard disk-- the native Ubuntu root had no say in the matter, then.
NONE of this should be necessary, unless you have some quirky copy of *buntu that's different from every one I've ever used. su - at a prompt solves everything--and has in the three decades I've used *nix.