Thread: Support MHL adapter help/discussion
View Single Post
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tlicious1020

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
the phone limits the current going into it. nothing is going to change that. it is not the fault of anything. the phone has a very power hungry CPU. decoding/encoding a video ESPECIALLY an HD video, is going to chomp a lot of CPU cycles.

if you turn off wifi, bt, radio, etc, you may squeeze out a bit more play time, but not much.

even if you could send a hundred amps (!!) into the phone , the circuitry in the battery will stop charging if it senses heat increasing beyond a set threshold--arresting the charging process until the temp cools--which it will have a while to wait because the CPU itself will generate its own heat.

how many videos are you trying to watch at one sitting on the phone?
My EVO 3D can go for about 5-6 hours before needing a charge. I haven't even tried to see how long the HTC One can last. So that's about 5-6 episodes of the Sopranos. I was trying to knock out the last three seasons of the Sopranos by watching it through my HBO GO app.

I was under the impression the power supply coming from MHL could at least keep the phone battery from draining. Even enabling power saver on the One doesn't stop the battery drain.

I thought most of the power being consumed was from the screen being on. There is an app called Screen Standby that people say works really well for MHL mirroring. However, it's for rooted phones. It shuts the screen off but permits a movie or video app to continuously run in the background with the screen off. There is even an article about it.

Even with power saver enabled, there is no change in picture quality or movie speed with the One.

Looking at my battery app it says that the phone is being charged as usb. That's why the phone isn't being charged adequately via MHL. It needs to be charging as AC in order to keep up.
Last edited by Tlicious1020; August 26th, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tlicious1020 For This Useful Post:
marctronixx (August 26th, 2013)