View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
gromit0010
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

I booted into TWRP did a SD card wipe and put my MetroPCS recovery back on the SD once more. I placed the folder named "TWRP" in the root directory of the SD and booted into TWRP. TWRP found the recovery this time and I was able to recover my stock unrooted MertoPCS 4.2.2 recovery. I think I may have had my recovery in a folder that was not named "TWRP" before but I am not sure. I used the CF-Auto root and was able to get root to work again.

New problem of course...even though I am back on stock MetroPCS my phone model is still designated as SGH-M919 not the original SGH-M919N. Once booted an error in the notification bar appeared.

"Prevention information
The device has detected an application attempting unpermitted actions and has stopped loading. To protect your device, it is recommended you reboot."

I am now unable to turn on WiFi and if the notification does not initially appear it does when I attempt to toggle WiFi on. I rebooted as directed with the same result. I flashed TWRP 2.6.0.0 again, booted into TWRP, did a good wipe and restored the MetroPCS recovery again with the same notification. I did another CF-Auto root successfully, which restored stock android recovery and erased TWRP. I booted into stock android recovery and did a factory wipe and reset. The phone booted up and prompted me for the initial setup. Ok so this must really be stock factory reset or as close as I could get. Nope WiFi will not turn on and notification is still there. (by the way phone service was still working when I recovered back to MetroPCS from the stock T-mob FW recovery)

Well I actually need WiFi and I do not like errors so I Odened back to T-mob facory FW recovery. Unlike to first time when the phone booted into T-mob recovery I was initially prompted for setup but several message started to pop up like S Health was unable to run or Gmail has stopped and so on with several other applications. This caused the phone to run really slow and almost freeze. I CF-Auto rooted to gain stock android recovery, booted into recovery, and did a factory wipe and reset. Phone booted no problems, no errors and no notifications.

One more thing...as Jobs would say. Although not an error if WiFi calling is enabled you will be continually prompted to update your T-mob sim card with a valid address for emergency services. That would normally be an easy fix but I'm using a MetroPCS sim card and I do not have a T-mob account or service. So I just turned off the WiFi calling. I still want to cry, this took way way to long to iron out. Bottom line, if you soft brick do everything possible to recover your backup without overwriting the actual FW. A solution might even take a day or two to find help. Just wait. The alternative is do what I did. Not cool. Can not wait till a MetroPCS stock FW comes out; till then T-mob will do.