Thread: Support why would samsung do this?
View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
daltekkie

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeets View Post
Agree that the Gnex volume sucked, no argument there. But now that the S4 is SO MUCH louder, what point is there in using Zedge which I really like. I don't want to reprocess my familiar notifications/ringtones with a 3rd party app just so they can be played back at an acceptable level on my S4. Even some of the stock S4 notifications are too loud for a work environment (i.e. cubicle life). They should have made MORE than 7 volume preset levels, with Level 1 being barely audible.

Regarding the separation of volume control, Samsung should have chosen the middle ground and at least allowed an option to lock/unlock any or all volume settings. Whenever I get to work I now have to lower my ringtone volume with the rocker and then my notification volume with my fat finger on the config screen. A major PITA. How is this advantageous to S4 users? When I leave work I have to change both settings as well so I can hear them in a noisy environment. Why couldn't they have made custom volume profiles that can be saved as presets??? Really this is 2013, not 5 years ago. Am I really demanding too much?

I totally understand your pain. I've been on the hunt for months trying out different volume controls as well as many different automation apps to help control the volume between home and work. I've tried Llama, Automateit, Setting Profiles Lite, Tasker, and Locale and I have to say Locale is my favorite. You can set up geo-fencing using your phone's GPS and it can set the volumes for you when you come within the area you set up. For example, put in your office address and when you get within so many meters it will automatically change the volume down for you. And when you leave it sets it back. I also have a plugin that will send SMS auto-replies when it detects that I'm driving telling the sender that I'm driving and will respond when I can reply safely. IMO it's a pretty slick little app and isn't very bloated. You can install only the plugins you want to so you have total control on how large of a footprint this app has.