View Single Post
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #840 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,475 Times in 896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta23 View Post
If I want some advice on which distro to go for, is this the right place to ask?
Yes, definitely!

Quote:
(yes, I'm getting serious about moving/dual booting now)
Yay!

Okay, I'll state right off I'm extremely biased--I'm a Kubuntu lover through and through. It's Ubuntu, but with KDE as its desktop environment. If you install Kubuntu, you can also have Ubuntu--with its GNOME or Unity or whatever desktop environments they have now--and switch freely between them. And vice versa. You can install Ubuntu and then add the Kubuntu components, or install Ubuntu and add the KDE components. (This is Linux--so there are always MANY choices and MANY ways of doing things.)

I'm also a big fan of Bodhi Linux. It's very lightweight but not crippled; its desktop environment is Enlightenment but, as with all things *nix, you can install whatever you like. Bodhi is a great choice for older and/or not very powerful hardware.

Finally, keep in mind that you can download the ISO files for any distributions you're interested in, and then boot up from those files. This will not in any way affect your hard drive. You can explore each distro and get a feel for which you prefer, THEN if you decide to commit to one you can choose its install option. Only then will you need to deal with your hard drive and how to partition it. If/when you get to that point, if you need help just post!