Thread: Support How hot is too hot?
View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Harry2

Device(s): One X, Sensation, Desire HD, Xperia Tablet S
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick33 View Post
... So the cpu can handle a lot of heat? I'd still really like to know HOW hot it's actually getting.
The set cpu app is a few bucks in the play store, but some people say it's not reliable...
Honestly, I don't know if the CPU's temperature is directly reachable for the OS. The CPU might monitoring its temperature by its own and acting to control it too, not needing the OS for this job.

The OS can read the battery's temperature for to take care of the battery.
So if the battery's temperature rising up -caused by CPU's heat and ambient temperature and its own warming- the phone's/battery's control takes action for to protect the battery.
If the battery's temperature rises above 45C (113F) while charging, the control will shut down charging until the battery will meet the allowed temperature range for charging ... the charging LED might flashing red&green for to indicates that.
Discharging now, the battery should be safe because it would be below its discharging temperature limit of 60C (140F).
But if the battery's temperature would increase further and rises above the battery's discharging temperature limit of 60C (140F), the phone should shut off (restarts).

As said before, the area near the CPU could have higher temperatures caused by the CPU's heat.
Actual phones' CPUs have temperature limits up to 90C (194F).

BTW, another question is the battery's life span which will be reduced by high temperatures.

Harry
Last edited by Harry2; September 5th, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry2 For This Useful Post:
Nick33 (September 5th, 2013)