Thread: SEcure lock
View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
ARocker

Device(s): (MetroPCS) Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

arakaflakaflame@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquirrell View Post
Having been told that Metro pcs has put secure lock on their devices, (It is so that if you put on unauthorised firmware it will break your phone.) Is it safe to root the phone, can't afford to brick this phone, What is considered firmware and what isconsidered software
Ooooh....a Secure Lock you say? lol
I wonder how that works? Maybe bigfoot comes to your room at nite and takes your phone into the woods? Sounds to me like someone is trying to scare ya lol

Rooting and flashing are both working well on our phones and has been well documented in this forum. That doesn't mean its SAFE to root and flash. Flash the wrong thing and you may bork your phone. You take that chance every time with any device. Thats why its important to read directions carefully and get as much info for what you're flashing before you flash. Also keep a backup of your current system handy in-case you get a bad flash or flash a bad download.

Firmware IS software. Usually when I use the word firmware...I mean the entire software package for a phone/device including the modem/radio software, the operating system, the boot image, the kernel, etc etc

Normally when flashing a custom rom, you're usually only flashing the operating system and sometimes the kernel.

Tell Metro bigfoot to stop telling scary stories
The Following User Says Thank You to ARocker For This Useful Post:
nuttmeg (September 10th, 2013)