View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #902 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,363 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saptech View Post
One day at work, using Win7, I was able to encrypt files and offer to give the files their own password to decrypt it. The PC have PGP installed. I guess this is in case the persons you send the files to doesn't have PGP installed.

Is there a way to do this using KGPG for KDE4? I really don't use encryption much but looking into using it more while at work. I can see how to encrypt files but not give it an individual password.
I haven't looked into any kind of encryption in a long time, so this may not be what you're looking for, but I used to use crypt (a built-in *nix command). It encrypts and requires a password. I used to use it with vi, by invoking vi with the -x argument.

Have a look and see if it's what you're after:

man crypt

And, a little *nix historical tidbit. Back in the '80s when I was upgrading the OS at work, we had to prove to SCO that we were in the United States before they'd let us have crypt. I still remember receiving its diskette and man sheets separately, a little while after receiving the rest of the upgrade.