View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
spetzie
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default To root or not to root

I love playing with my android phone but at the moment I do not have root access so this limits me greatly. The main reason I want to root at the moment is to remove the HUGE amount of bloatware on my s4 and to start looking into custom roms and cpu tweaks. I read ALOT and I am starting to understand quite a bit about what is involved. There are still a couple of answers I can't find on the net so I thought I would ask here BEFORE rooting my phone.

Firstly - I have heard all about custom roms and it is my understanding that they take place from the stock firmware. Im sure I can find the cynogenmod rom somewhere on the net (which is what I want to use as I have heard great things) but how do you install this. I am sure you could do it with clockworkmod which I intend to install but I thought I would ask first.

Second - If I decide to stay stock while rooted is it best to use clockworkmod or just use mobile odin to update new firmware?

Thirdly - if I decide to get a custom rom, can I still use launchers like nova launcher? and programs like uccw?

Fourthly - If I have a problem with my phone and unroot and use triangle away (following tutorials I have researched) will I get warranty back. In other words if my counter is back to zero and I am running stock firmware is there any other way they can tell the phone has been rooted?

Lastly - if I want to use a custom rom do I need to unlock the bootlocker? I don't know much about this yet so if I do I would rather root and use stock firmware until I am confident to proceed.

Thanks guys
Last edited by spetzie; September 14th, 2013 at 07:12 PM.