View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
nickdalzell
AF Contributor

Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

i still have my iPhone 4 (unactivated, wifi only now) but it didn't take me long before i got bored. was it reliable? sure. was it customizable? hell no. i couldn't change the voice of Jeannie (the only way to get Siri-like function on a 4) to a cool UK or Aussie accent. it took many more steps to get out of one app, check weather, then get into another app. i missed my widgets even when i thought i'd never miss them. i could only add so many apps into a folder then i needed folders with the same name (Games then turned into Games 2, Games 3, and so on). eventually i got to my usual 100 or so apps, and i was out of home screens, couldn't add more, couldn't even see my wallpaper anymore.

the one thing that truly did it was when iTunes raised their song prices from $.99 to $1.29. now don't get me wrong, 99 cents for one MP3 is still higher than a kite, but still. jumping a song from the 1970s to $1.29 like it were a new song just out, is plain stupid. could i add another service that supported local storage? nope. i could get Amazon Cloud Player and use their MP3 store on my laptop to add music to it, but that seemed overkill. i hate using a laptop. secondly, what good is a 'cloud' player if i am away from coverage?

battery life is still above and beyond Android. it can sit idle for days and still have plenty left. Android needs charging every night if i leave it alone.

But i don't like Apple's planned obsolescence. non-removable batteries are a thorn in my side. there is also a cut-off date when your iPhone is too old to get OS updates, and shortly after that, the app store no longer works on your phone. with Android, be it Eclair, Gingerbread or Jelly Bean, even if Google suddenly says 'hey Android is dead and Play Store will shut down in 2020' there will always be third party dev support, a myriad of other app stores, and so on. Android is more future proof.

Apple supports all the Gapps, including Google Now and Chrome, alas, GNow is useless as it needs to be launched as an app like everything else thus defeating the purpose of cards. Chrome worked well enough, And Google Maps was excellent. but in the end, my iPhone was more Android than iPhone as Google's services remain superior to Apple's offerings. it felt like using Windows but running OpenOffice, KDE, and SeaMonkey on it.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (obsolete, slow, rooted)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
Last edited by nickdalzell; September 17th, 2013 at 08:10 PM.