Thread: General Samsung Note 3 64gb
View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
drexappeal

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetguat View Post
I dont fully understand this issue. Please help me out.

Example, I have Motorola Droid Bionic. The first real LTE smartphone out there. Its has 16GB internal storage and a external sd slot, in which I have a 64GB card. My droid is running Android 4.1.2. I believe that the 16GB is split into two 8GB chunks thought.

I have the option within any app setting to "Move to Internal Storage" "Move to phone". Is this moving to/from SD card?

When I look at my SD card, of course I see saved movies, mp3, photos. but there is an android data directory also.

I have apps that save data (like Titanium Backup or KeePassDroid) to the removable SD card.

Can someone explain the memory structure on the Note 3 vs Bionic. are they different or the same. When I move apps to the SD card on my Bionic.. am I really only moving to the 2nd 8GB chunk or onto the 64GB card I have. thanks
Since ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich), Google removed the ability to move apps to the SD card. So, even if it may indicate that apps are moved to the SD card (especially on older devices that got upgraded to ICS from Gingerbread), they might not work properly anymore.

On the Note 2, there is no "partition" of the internal storage, which was something that Motorola used to do with the internal storage (On the Motorola Photon, internal storage was split 8gb usable, 3gb apps, remainder for system). All of the internal storage is located in the same place (e.g. system files, app storage, and whatever else you want). So, out of 16gb, 6gb is used for Samsung's system info, as well as carrier bloat, and other miscellaneous files. That leaves 10gb of usable internal storage, which would be used for apps, games, and downloads that are not usable when moved to the SD, due to an app's protocol for reading the file.

As for saving "data" from apps, that's a different story. There are still many apps that allow for "backup" settings to be saved to the external SD. That still isn't an issue at all. Prior to ICS, users had the ability to completely (for the most part) move apps to the external SD card, so that only a minimal amount of internal storage was used for the app to still run. From my understanding, that is no longer a possibility to move majority of an app's protocol over to the SD, unless one roots the phone and performs the hack that identifies the internal storage as the microSD and vice versa.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
BobF (September 18th, 2013)