View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2013, 08:38 PM   #968 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,543 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
Hey Moody,
Sorry for the delay, but I've been out of pocket today for the most part. Hadn't even TOUCHED my laptop until right now! My brother-in-law is visiting, and we've just been busy. I logged in for a little while this afternoon on my phone, and realized I don't normally do that for a reason: I CAN'T SEE!! Even posted a reply. (Now I need to check it for typos. )

Anyway...

Quote:
Question.

After I return from work today, I'm going to install Linux for a dual boot. The purpose is to just copy files easily since I lack external storage. Can gparted erase the windows partition without any problems with GRUB or anything like that afterwards? I've never tried anything like that before, so I wanted to ask.
It's been a number of years since I did that, as I don't normally have dual-boot machines. In my situation--and ONLY if I remember correctly--I had a window$ partition and a Linux partition, and I wiped the window$ partition using Linux. I'm way too fuzzy right now to say for sure what/how I did this. I probably used gParted, deleted the partition(?), recreated it, formatted it...I'm sorry, I really just cannot recall exactly. I know I was using GRUB, and I know I ended up with an additional partition for Linux, but I do not recall if there were any issues or if there was anything special I had to do when booting up. Can someone else chime in please?

The Following User Says Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
Prinny (September 21st, 2013)