View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #1077 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,535 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbloodbrother View Post
Okey, Linux has completely crashed on my Dad's desktop. It works for about 5 minutes, and then bam, its crashed. Time to delete Linux
As you've already deduced, it's not Linux that's the problem, it's hardware, right?

But let's pretend that it WASN'T a hardware problem--why would you delete LInux? Depending on why a computer is 'crashing' (which I actually can't recall seeing a *nix computer do, other than for hardware reasons, like a dying hard drive or bad RAM), there's no reason to delete Linux. There's no reason even to reinstall the OS--unlike that, *cough*...OTHER OS. It could be a simple matter of a user screwing up a setting somewhere [in their own user account]. My now departed mother could do things to computers I literally had NEVER seen before, but I never had to delete or reinstall Kubuntu because of it. I finally locked down her account in such a way that no matter *WHAT* she did, no matter how badly screwed up it looked, a simple log out/in solved the problem.

Quote:
but what other distro should I put on the computer? I was thinking of moving away from ubuntu, and getting something that will actually make this computer work for more than a week. haha, any ideas?
There are so many distros, each with its own pros and cons. But I just have to say that I have *buntu computers that have been humming along for years without any intervention whatsoever, so I'm kind of at a loss as to why your experience with it is so different from mine.

Also, regarding your really bad experience with HP--all of my computers (laptops and desktops) are HP, and I've never had any problems (other than the occasional hard drive death, which has nothing to do with HP, per se). Some of them are 10+ years old and still humming away. *shrug*