Thread: General Droid Maxx or Moto X
View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
vzwuser76
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 7 2013 (current), Galaxy S3, Toshiba Thrive, HTC Incredible 1& 2, Rezound, TBolt
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
The Ultra/Maxx and the X are the same hardware in different form factors. I cannot believe that voice quality is any different. Perhaps the people reporting bad quality on the X are covering the noise reduction microphones while they are talking? Voice quality on my Maxx has been fine. Nobody I have talked to has mentioned anything about not hearing me well, and I have heard others just fine, except one call with my daughter when she was riding on a bus and probably going through varied cell coverage.

As for updates, who knows, but - again - the hardware and software is the same, with the exception of the Droid garbage on the Droids, the different ringtones, and some minor differences (Droid Zapp and the Droid control center widget on the Droids, unlock with NFC on the X; bloatware is different, but that has little to do with updates). If you are waiting for Moto Maker, by the time you're ready to buy, you'll see if the X has had the update on Verizon that all of the other carriers have had already (ahem) before the Droids get it, or if the updates are delivered reasonably close together.

If I were to venture a guess, the X will probably get updates earlier - it is Motorola's flagship phone, while the Droids are made under contract exclusively for Verizon. It'll be interesting to see.

I'm not sure why you are worried about the SIM tray. Are you planning to switch SIM cards often? And, both have SIM trays... are you worried about the volume buttons having issues? So far, mine are fine. (I've had my phone seven weeks tomorrow morning.)
I know they both have sim trays, but the one on the X (and any other phone with a sim tray) are a sim tray only. The one on the Maxx is part of the volume buttons. The main worries for me is (if the material is weak) breaking, and when pressing the volume buttons if the sim card will move (if the tray has some wiggle room). Probably just being overly cautious, but I did repair electronics for years so that's why.
Ordering it tonight, thanks for your help!