View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #1113 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,456 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Okay, so I am looking at this tutorial on installing KDE on Mint; but now I am unsure which version of KDE/Plasma to install.
Don't be overwhelmed by all the choices--it's just standard Linux philosophy, letting the user control what s/he wants to install.

Unless there's some reason why you don't want a full install, I'd recommend going with these:

Code:
For the full version, install the kde-full package:

$ sudo apt-get install kde-full

If you want KDE Plasma Desktop do:

$ sudo apt-get install kde-plasma-desktop
Note that I don't use the apt-get method for installing KDE (I usually burn a Kubuntu disc and use it; I've also occasionally used Synaptic after installing Ubuntu to add KDE/Kubuntu). Therefore, I'm not sure if the second of those choices will actually install the full package PLUS Plasma, or not. You won't harm anything either way, so it's fine to go ahead and run both of those commands.

When you're done, you can still find MORE things to add, believe it or not. Themes, widgets, icons, applications, all sorts of stuff. Personally, I use Synaptic to browse through [by searching] all the KDE-related stuff, and then installing what I want.