View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #1141 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,538 Times in 944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
Thanks. I'm looking at it now. Stay tuned!

ETA: Okay, after reading the above, as well as the blog post it refers to for the remainder of instructions, it seems that's not quite it. I want to get rid of ChromeOS altogether, not have a choice of booting it or Ubuntu. But...

Quote:
chroot or dual boot, both are pure installs
I'm not sure what you mean by pure installs. The way my current setup (what I got by following your post from yesterday) works is that it lets you log in to KDE (or whatever DE you chose to install), but when you exit from it you're back in ChromeOS. Without shutting down, restarting, logging out, etc. You invoke it with sudo startkde at a prompt, and when you exit you're back in ChromeOS's file system. So it's not exactly dual-booting, but sub-booting, or something. I want it to be ONLY booting!

Quote:
the sites linked help you with the tools you need because this is another case - it's not UEFI nor a PC BIOS.

So I think trying for a usb iso install is doomed because it's ignoring that constraint.
Wait...am I understanding correctly that I can't just wipe the drive and install *buntu (or any other distro)?

Last edited by MoodyBlues; October 9th, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (October 9th, 2013)