View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #79 (permalink)
EarlyMon
The PearlyMon

Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 57,187 Times in 22,979 Posts

Phones don't have a BIOS but the bootloader is analogous to it. It's the lowest level firmware component and it dictates the boot vector, and includes some maintenance functions.

Here's some info to help sort out terms -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Bootloader

Open source bootloaders do exist, Das U-Boot is one, I seem to recall another but don't recall the name. They're uncommon in phone rooting.

Replacing bootloaders with modified versions and even using jtag to get through bootloader security when all else fails isn't at all unheard of with HTCs.

When you do that, an HTC becomes permanently s-off (a term unique to HTCs) where encrypted signature security is permanently off. I never gave it much thought but for all I know, the HTC s-on/off flag might be an efuse.

So the jtag unlocking precedent is certainly there, not sure about it with respect to the Knox flag.

Very interesting thought.

PS - if you could circumvent Knox and be undetected, I'd expect Samsung to OTA patch that in a jiffy. Anyone without the update would be suspect.

Trying to bypass IT security where you work hardly seems worth it, but that's imo.

Also review the OP for what's known so far about using jtag and Knox.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Links: Site Rules / Guidelines -and- Zero Tolerance Policy (All Members Read)

For right-on help, the Thanks button is on the right of the post.
For anything out in left field, the /!\ report button is to the left.

Remember, it's our forums and we're all in this together - so let's keep it cool!

Shoot the breeze at the best new gun forum!
Last edited by EarlyMon; October 10th, 2013 at 09:01 AM.