View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1179 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,361 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
There is such a thing as too much choice, you know.
That's the thing about KDE--its options are truly infinite.

Quote:
So, the resolution on the screen seems to be worse on the Plasma desktop than on Cinnamon. Of course, this is a subjective thing, the wallpapers are different between the two environments, as well as the fonts.
You can install any fonts and/or wallpapers you want.

Quote:
I changed the default fonts in Plasma and dropped them down a point, and next time I boot we'll see if there is any improvement.
This isn't window$!! Rebooting should have no part in this. Changing a setting, such as fonts, should take effect as soon as you hit 'apply.'

Quote:
I have surfed through the themes available via the settings dialog for various sub-dialogs, and downloaded a good dozen of each.

As pretty as each one looks in its advertised page, the end result is not quite as romantic for any program not specifically designed into KDE. For instance, both Libre Office and Banshee look like ports from Win NT.
I don't use Banshee, but my LibreOffice looks like everything else--and definitely not like it's from M$. Have you fiddled with your GTK+ Appearance settings? Not sure if that applies here, but it's worth a try.

Quote:
I'm sorry, Moody, but a lot of this stuff is just not very intuitive. Part of that may be expectations on my part as a Windows and Gnome user, but some of it just makes no sense to me.
I think it's just overload. There are literally SO MANY CHOICES it can be overwhelming. I often say that one could do nothing but tweak their display settings and easily spend a week, full time, doing it...and still not be done. So back off. Just take a step back and only adjust things you really care about right now. There's plenty of time to explore more thoroughly later. Get one or two things at a time the way you want them, then when you're in the mood work on one or two more.

Quote:
I also understand that some of this may very well be me shooting myself in the foot for adding KDE to an existing Mint (Cinnamon) operating system instead of installing a new instance on the drive.
No, this shouldn't be a factor at all.

Quote:
You should at least feel content that you got this old dog to wander over to your side of the fence.

Quote:
I will continue to complain, and there's nothing any of you damn kids can do about it.

... now get off my lawn!
Complain away, my friend!

Do you have ANY idea the last time someone called *ME* a kid?! I think horseless carriages had just made their debut.