View Single Post
Old October 17th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #1258 (permalink)
nickdalzell
AF Contributor

Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

oh it's fine if all i want to do is browse the web, or play Youtube videos, or use Netflix (which oddly enough, works with Chrome's little Netflix webapp even in Ubuntu) and that's it, but i can do that faster in ChromeOS.

see, you've got the advantage. my early days were with CP/M, MS-DOS, TRS-DOS, even a little Apple //e (pop floppy disk in, turn it on, what could be easier?). then Windows 3.0, 3.1, 3.11 WFW, Windows 95, 95 SR1, 98, 98SE, ME (no, just, no), 2K, XP, XP Pro, XP Server, NT 4 Workstation, Server, Vista, 7, 8. so i got more than two decades of Windows, while you got (two?) decades of UNIX. i HATED UNIX. my worst memories were that awful SCO UNIX and its XENIX predecessor from 1978. ironically, it was 2001 when i helped out dad, but his office. stuck in 1978. interior design, computers (i don't know how i dealt with that noisy jet they called a hard disk then) even the elevator music over the speakers (granted it was a medical office but still). UNIX. no.

SCO UNIX. copyright 1969-78 SCO Corporation

login: root
Password: stone

You have mail

#_

that was it. nothing but terminal. all i did was enter codes, medical codes, over and over again. oh, and it crashed often. not sure if it was the noisy hard drive or that awful OS. or running something made in '78 on an i386. it either froze, or lagged, or outright threw me to a console with kernel panic. so perhaps i still get reminded of that system when Linux hiccups for me. or maybe that's why it does. bad memories.
Last edited by nickdalzell; October 17th, 2013 at 12:13 AM.