View Single Post
Old October 17th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #1266 (permalink)
mikedt
你好

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,799 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
i wish double-clicking was that easy. if Moody can help with turning all that verification/protection stuff off it would likely be that easy. i am sick of OSs protecting me from myself. in other words, i want to make all installs a force install. but basically automate the sudo apt-get install -f switch.
In all the years of using Linux myself, I've never had to do a force install. Most things I just install from the repos, and what I need is generally there, installs and works without problem. In fact I didn't even know the apt-get install -f switch existed. Occasionally I've compiled software from source code and installed them that way. The sudo password verification thing doesn't really bother me, because I'm not actually installing, removing, hacking and tweaking things very often. I'm mostly using it productively and for entertainment purposes.

I installed Mint 13 "Maya", which is an LTS release, late last year when I first bought a new laptop. Apart from changing the KDE software launcher to Lancelot, changing the wallpaper, and installing the software I need, plus removing a few things that I don't use, that's it, I don't think it's been changed or altered since, apart from updates.

I've always used a 32bit version, because the PCs have never had more than 4GB of RAM. So not going to have any compatibility issues with proprietary 32bit software, like there might not be a 64bit version available. If software is open source, this won't be a problem.

I've had to force things in Windows however, stuff like "Run as Administrator" or "Run in XP compatibility mode", for stubborn or older software that won't work properly in later versions.

EDIT:

I just been reading man apt-get. Appears the -f is actually "fix-broken" and not "force". Quote: "...attempt to correct a system with broken dependencies in place." i.e. if the system is configured and working correctly, shouldn't need to use it.

There is a --force-yes switch. "This is a dangerous option that will cause apt to continue without prompting if it is doing something potentially harmful. It should not be used except in very special situations. Using force-yes can potentially destroy your system!"
'i am sick of OSs protecting me from myself.'...think that's the one for you Nick.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; October 17th, 2013 at 08:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikedt For This Useful Post:
MoodyBlues (October 17th, 2013)