View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #1287 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,531 Times in 937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
i like the dock. if i made a desktop shortcut, much like launching it manually through a terminal, it sorta defeats the purpose doesn't it?
No. I don't see the difference between clicking an icon on the desktop and clicking an icon in a dock.

Quote:
i screencapped examples of the rather limited edit option. none of which allows me to edit the actual parameters of the shortcut.
There must be a way.

Quote:
But if you like a challenge, try installing Skype through the same method you used to get Chrome on there. download the *.deb from their site, the only one listed for Ubuntu. then try intalling it. t will fail. damn package manager and its stupid protection crap!
You know I LOVE a challenge! So I just took your challenge and stepped through installing Skype on my new Chromebook. Want to see my screenshots?

I chose Ubuntu 12.04 (multiarch). Period. Did NOTHING on the CB to match that. I just grabbed it because I recalled you mentioning that you had used that file.

Absolutely *NO* forcing, tweaking, failing, crashing, Googling for 30 minutes, etc. IT JUST WORKS. I didn't bother taking further screenshots, but I logged in and everything works as expected--sound, video, everything.

Quote:
EDIT: well i managed to get Software Center to work without a password, but i cannot get the icon to add to cairo dock like i like. i'm now stuck with a desktop icon (could only edit by enabling kmenu and copying it to desktop).

EDIT2: tried 'make it a launcher' to move it to the dock, seems to be ok but will have to install something else to find out.
So you're making progress. At least you're rid of the password prompts, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
mikedt (October 18th, 2013)