View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #1456 (permalink)
mikedt
你好

Device(s): Oppo Find 7a, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos(spare), Lenovo P700i(retired), KIRF Galaxy Note(deceased)
Carrier: China Mobile

Thanked 2,862 Times in 2,068 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta23 View Post
Got the flash drive for my friend, and I've downloaded Ubuntu. The only problem is how do I get ubuntu onto the drive, and allow space to install games? I've previously used LiLi USB creator but that can only create 4GB of persistence...

Help?
I'm sure that's all you can get. Bootable USB sticks are formatted as FAT32, and 4GB is the maximum file-size that FAT32 can handle. Because the "persistence" used for storing your data is a single file on the storage device, and Linux mounts and opens it when it boots.

An NTFS or EXT2/3/4 formatted USB stick can hold files larger than 4GB, but not sure if you can make that bootable. I assume you're using Windows, you could try formatting the USB as NTFS, and see if LILi USB Creator works with that. But if that doesn't work you're stuck with 4GB of persistence.

You could also try partitioning the USB. A primary bootable partition large enough for the OS plus the persistence, for the additional software you want to install. and the second partition for own stuff, like movies, music, documents, photos, etc. Because Linux should mount the secondary partition as an additional removable drive.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; October 27th, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikedt For This Useful Post:
MoodyBlues (October 27th, 2013)