View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:48 AM   #1463 (permalink)
mikedt
你好

Device(s): Oppo Find 7a, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos(spare), Lenovo P700i(retired), KIRF Galaxy Note(deceased)
Carrier: China Mobile

Thanked 2,861 Times in 2,068 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
i hope this is a sign i've finally patched all my install issues. i often listen to this online radio station (Mad Mikes Radio for those who like variety, it's local here--broadcasts near where i work) that appears to only support Windows. not true! of course, on my Mac i can use iTunes, and add it as a stream. so i wondered 'is it that easy in Linux?' well, apparently it is! open up Rhythmbox, Ubuntu's answer to iTunes, and do the very same thing! other than wondering why nothing happened at first (it didn't exactly tell me anything, i had to find the section where it added it) it plays perfectly fine. not the most intuitive UI, but still, worked as fast. i can only hope this is a sign it's all fixed.
It should work, it's regular streaming MP3, no DRM or anything. Plays on my Mint system. Have you got what Ubuntu refers to as the "bad" or "ugly" codecs installed? Because they're not installed in Unbuntu by default, due to MP3 software patent and licensing issues, i.e. they're not free like Ogg Vorbis. But the codecs you need should be there in the repos, just have to download and install them via Synaptic or apt.

Canonical will sell you a set of licensed non-free codecs that you can install into Ubuntu, should you have any legal or IP obligations you might have to comply with. They'll also sell you an officially licensed DVD and Blu-ray player you can install. In the US if you're playing a commercial DRM'd DVD in Linux using VLC with LibCSS, you're actually committing a felony offence under the DMCA

Mint has them by default usually. Although there is a version of Mint for distribution in the United States, which doesn't include patented non-free codecs, because of the risks of legal action, huge fines and significant jail time. With Windows and Mac OS X, Microsoft and Apple have paid the appropriate licensing fees to Fraunhofer or Technicolor or whatever, holders of the software patents, so they can include them no problem. Because Linux is free, it's up to you to determine if you need to be licensed, depending on your uses for the patented codecs, and if need them or not. Personal use you don't need to be licensed, but for commercial use you do, although IANAL.

You can read all about it what you need to do here..."Restricted Formats"
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

And this what Mint has to say about distributing "Restricted Formats"
"A version without multimedia support. For magazines, companies and distributors in the USA, Japan and countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software and distribution of restricted technologies may require the acquisition of 3rd party licenses*."

"multimedia support" would also include DVD players that can crack and play DRM'd commercial DVDs, e.g. VLC with LibCSS. Basically because the DMCA makes it a criminal offence to distribute technology that can crack and defeat DRM.

This is why your Ubuntu more than likely can't play that MP3 radio station, not without installing the restricted MP3 codecs.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; October 28th, 2013 at 05:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikedt For This Useful Post:
MoodyBlues (October 28th, 2013)