View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2013, 06:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
ironass

Device(s): SGS4 GT-i9505. Rooted. GE KitKat 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM. Baseband: NC9. Kernel: ktoonsez+PhilZ
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanked 3,612 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolledup20s View Post
Hi guys. I've been an iPhone user since the start of time and I'm used to jailbreaking etc. I upgraded to the Samsung s4 on o2 in the UK and didn't think I'd want to root but now I feel the need to as it's proving difficult lol.

So, I have a mac... so guide on this please.
I downloaded motochopper and ran terminal ok and it installed supersu onto my phone OK but when checking if rooted it said I wasn't and an update was required for SU but wouldn't do it. So.. I'm Looking at alternatives but baseband throws me as all YouTube videos have different baseband to me. Mine is I9505XXUBMF8 so what's the best method for me?

Cheers
Hello and welcome to Android Forums Rolledup20s!

I'm guessing that if you are on O2, UK, that you have the GT-i9505, quad core, International version of the Galaxy S4. See #1.2 of, "18 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?", to obtain your version.

The baseband refers to the modem installed on your phone and may differ from the actual stock firmware details. See #1.3 of the previous link to ascertain your firmware build.

lotus49 is correct in saying that it is easier to root using a PC than a Mac. For rooting details using a PC, see, "Rooting Galaxy S4 - Dummies Guide". As also mentioned, be careful if you are on firmware versions MGG, Android 4.2.2, onwards as they are Knox Security enabled. See, "Knox Security & locked bootloader on new firmwares". This is why it is important to know your exact firmware details.

Dummies Guides Rooting Galaxy S4 * Know Your S4 * Update Problems * Knox Security * Bloatware * GPS