View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:23 AM   #1560 (permalink)
mikedt
你好

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,794 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
MikeDT, yeah, you could strip out everything and be left with a sortie equivalent of ChromeOS, except the Linux Flash Player overheat bug would still be there. i am not sure why it doesn't happen in ChromeOS, but Ubuntu seems to keep taxing the CPU for some reason. NO computer, linux or otherwise, should be running at 160*F plus just playing YouTube. Games, perhaps, if not up to the task, but not YouTube.

I am also not sure how ChromeOS, essentially Linux, gets around the Silverlight requirement for Netflix. Ubuntu can't even do it yet.
No Linux OS will do that, including Chrome OS. Microsoft Silverlight is Windows or Mac only. There was the Moonlight project, which was an open source equivalent for proprietary Silverlight, but I'm sure that's abandoned now. Because it couldn't do the one thing that would make it useful for things like Netflix, the dreaded Digital Restrictions Management, that the MPAA and Hollywood insists upon. DRM is not really possible to do because of the nature of open source software, there's no secrets and can't really hide anything. Microsoft could do Silverlight for Linux if they wanted. They do Skype for Linux. Although this is academic for me, because nothing around here uses Silverlight and/or has DRM.

The BBC got into a spot of trouble a few years ago when they first launched their online viewing service, iPlayer, because it used Silverlight. The UK government basically said, the BBC is a public broadcaster funded by public money, the TV license fee, so therefore has to support public operating systems like Linux. Netflix on the other hand being a private corporation can do what it likes. Apparently it's Hollywood that insists on Silverlight, because of the apparently secure DRM it has, or quite possibly there's some kickback going on between the studios, Netflix and Micro$oft.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; November 3rd, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikedt For This Useful Post:
MoodyBlues (November 3rd, 2013)