View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2013, 05:41 PM   #1584 (permalink)
mikedt
你好

Device(s): Oppo Find 7a, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos(spare), Lenovo P700i(retired), KIRF Galaxy Note(deceased)
Carrier: China Mobile

Thanked 2,925 Times in 2,119 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
oh, so i'd be stuck in the same boat i was in before by not being able to install some apps. no thanks. one reason i am trying a non-Ubuntu approach is because of their crappy philosophy. i had a hell of a time installing Skype, which was a FREE app, because of them.
It's not only crappy philosophy. There's law and intellectual property issues as well, e.g. the DMCA in the United States. Where you can be thrown in jail just for distributing an open source DVD player, e.g. one that than skip the FBI warnings or uses LibDVDCSS, because it breaks DRM. It maybe unlawful and copyright infringement to re-distribute Skype, not without the express permission of Micro$oft. Skype is not free as in open source, it's only free of cost, the ol' free speech vs free beer thing, i.e. Gratis versus libre.

Skype business EULA.
4.4 Restrictions. You have no right to and shall not (and shall ensure that Your Administrators and Business Users shall not): (a) copy or modify the Skype Software, except to the extent expressly permitted by applicable law; (b) transfer, sublicense, lease, lend, rent or otherwise distribute the Skype Software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libdvdcss
"Many GNU/Linux distributions do not contain libdvdcss (for example Debian, Fedora, SUSE Linux, and Ubuntu) due to fears of running afoul of DMCA-style laws,"
i.e. they don't wish to run the risks of being slapped with a $2,000,000 fine and/or 20 years in a federal prison.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; November 3rd, 2013 at 08:50 PM.