View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #138 (permalink)
scotty85
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanked 6,786 Times in 4,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
Hi Guys,

So I'm getting ready to install CM now and a couple of things are a little different than described, so I thought I'd check in before pulling the trigger.

I found my way to recovery and made a backup.
I plugged my phone into my computer and only a folder called "internal storage" showed up, so I assume this is /sdcard/. My old dinc would say "use as mass storage" and I'd get two drives, the phone storage and the sd card separately. I don't see a way to do that when I look at the One.

I moved CM.zip to the "internal storage" folder on the phone.

choices now are:

install zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
advanced

CM instructions say just do the factory reset, should I also do the cache partition? Is that the dalvik cache Scotty mentioned?

They also have this Gapp.zip link for the Google playstore, maps, etc. I assume I just go back to recovery to the install zip and then choose that instead?

Will I lose all my data and if so, should I just copy over the "internal storage" stuff I copied to my computer?

Also, if anyone is following up on my prior post, the OTA nagging stopped when I followed the XDA link instructions on the prior post.

Thanks for any help (and for all the help so far!).

Mike
yup,internal storage is where you want to place the rom. it is effectively the sd card different from the dinc as you only have the phone storage.

doing a "factory reset" generally will wipe the cache parition also(youll see it "wiping cache" when you do a factory reset),and the dalvik cache lives inside the data partition,so you are fine to just do a factory reset. the "old school" train of thot is to make sure you wipe cache and dalvik in addition to data,but the reality is that is not really neccesary.

sometimes you may need to wipe cache and dalvik to install something without wiping data,but for a new rom that is very different from your current one,you will want to wipe data.

if youre using clockwork recovery,dalik cache is under "advanced" in the menu.

certainly no harm in wiping the cache and dalvik also,but ignore any advice you get that you need to flash special "super wipe" zips or manually wipe something multiple times. electonically wiping is not like wiping crumbs off of a counter that you may need to make a couple passes.

you are correct,just put gapps on your "sd card" as we,then flash the rom,and gapps immediately after.

just holler if you have further questions
donate to my device fund
Last edited by scotty85; December 4th, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
Mike W (December 4th, 2013)