Thread: Support Wi-Fi issue
View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #172 (permalink)
Canesfan

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalX View Post
Hi folks, I believe I found the solution to this particular problem.

Under WiFi settings, press the Menu key and go to Advanced. Then, disable "Auto network switch."

I was having the EXACT same problem as above, and had tried many things short of a factory reset, until I came upon this setting. After disabling that, my WiFi has been solid for about a week now.

Basically I think what is happening is Android is disabling WiFi when it thinks it can get better speeds via mobile/cellular data. This makes a certain amount of sense if you think about it, but, it may not be what many of us want.

(Btw, after changing this myself and seeing the results, I did some more specific searches online and did find some others had done this as well, and also disabled "Always allow scanning." I had disabled mine prior to figuring out this issue so I don't know what would happen if you had that setting still on, but Auto Network Switch disabled. So it's possible you have to disable both.)

One caveat: the phone now annoyingly prompts me for whether or not I want to join another WiFi network once I go beyond the range of my own router. I haven't found a way to stop this yet, but, this situation is still far preferable to the constant on/off problem, so I can live with it if there's no way to stop it.
Unfortunately, this made no difference to the problem(s) I've been having....really wish it had .