View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Curnsie

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by erk View Post
Can people please post how they are getting on with their Legend and wifi connectivity- mine is a pos and I am close to drop kicking it into the nearest bin, and I cannot believe I am the only one struggling with this.

Phone: Vodafone UK branded, sw number 1.32.161.4
Router: Netgear DG834G using wpa/wpa2
symptoms: will connect 1 time, then requires power cycle on the router before it will connect again. All other wireless devices can reconnect in this time without a problem.
I've never come as close to hurting a gadget in my life!! Its incredibly frustrating. WiFi is useless on mine. My setup is a Sky supplied router. I've tried changing various settings on the router to no avail. It connects 8 out of 10 times and works for a few minutes then disconnects without warning. I put it down to poor signal strength, as I rerely get higher than on bar unless I stand beside the router. My 2 Macs and a PC laptop, plus my wife's blackberry can get full signals all over our house, and never drop connections. So I've concluded its not the routers problem. Many reviews, like Engadget, stated the poor wifi performance of the Legend... I hoped they were early review/production models. I was wrong.

On a side issue cellular web access is not much better sometimes, with sites constantly failing to load... all in all I'm growing less impressed with this HTC. At least my iPhone 'Just Worked'! I hope its a problem that can be fixed with software otherwise HTC will have a large number of returns. This is why I agree with some reviewers who said the metal body is blocking signals.

I emailed HTC asking about the problem, as talking to Vodafone is like talking to a brick wall... a really dumb one!

Here is HTC's reply:

Dear Drew, Thank you for contacting HTC Europe. We are aware of the problem and we are working on the problem. If you have any further questions please contact us again. Regards HTC.

At least that sounds hopeful, otherwise I'm locked in to a 2 year contract with a paper weight.

Drew
Last edited by Curnsie; May 24th, 2010 at 08:44 AM.