View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bek
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Photon 4G; HTC Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Carbon Fiber Back Mod - Tutorial

Carbon Fiber Back Mod - Install & Tutorial

Hi all,

mikevember started a thread, http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/78740-carbon-fiber-4g-back.html, a while back which inspired myself and a number of others to look further into it and try it out. Since I wound up purchasing a Google IO Evo, I'm the first to go.

So I documented everything here for you all.

First, you'll see that I ordered two sheets, one light and one dark carbon fiber.

I wasn't sure which one I'd want, so I said the hell with it and got one of each. And worse case scenario, if I screwed the first install, I could rip it off then use the other sheet to try again.

Tools:
- Hair Dryer
- Utility Knife
- Cardboard to cut on
- Sewing Needle
- Scissors

First you'll see I cut a chunk of the decal away, since I wouldn't need it. I figured I'd practice first, so took the cap to a spray can that was curvy, and worked with that. Here's a few samples.

I was able to pull the decal on and off, stretch and restretch it, as I kept heating it. I played around for several minutes and this material is very forgiving. It won't "permanently" shrink like say, saran wrap, which helps a lot. But at the same time, that means the material won't wrap around tighter curves as well, but that's okay.

Okay, onto the Evo.

Here I am now applying the decal.

Once I did this, I started to cut away the excess using scissors then used the utility knife for closer trimming. After this, I heated the hell out of it for several minutes, pressing up the sides to encourage adhesion shrinking.

Then I cut out the hole for the camera lens and kickstand.

Then I went back and trimmed up the edges as best I could. I noticed that nail clippers, curved and straight, helped tremendously in cleaning things up. Normal curved nail clippers worked really well for trimming the rounded corners.

Next, I used a needle to pop out the holes for the speaker. I first poked from the inside of the back, then pushed the needle back through the outside of the back.

Finally, I cut the holes for the flash. That was the biggest pain in the ass for two reasons. First, I used the "cut a +" technique that I posted from a tutorial video in the original thread. Don't do that... cut a circle out instead. Eventually I was able to trim away as much of the excess as possible but it was a royal bitch, because the holes are so small.

And here's the final result!

Last edited by Bek; May 28th, 2010 at 05:29 PM.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Bek For This Useful Post:
Bagua (May 29th, 2010), cnote678 (June 18th, 2010), Covert_Death (May 28th, 2010), Cuso (February 6th, 2011), drexappeal (May 28th, 2010), fr4nk1yn (May 28th, 2010), freshbasil (June 11th, 2010), ibleedbloo (May 28th, 2010), IlliniDawg01 (June 1st, 2010), jmoh (June 19th, 2010), mikevember (May 29th, 2010), NeoteriX (May 29th, 2010), pwnst*r (June 15th, 2010), rockman1117 (May 28th, 2010), slammer21 (May 1st, 2011), SniperDroid (May 28th, 2010), SprintFun (May 28th, 2010), ToNrDrOiD (May 28th, 2010), travisr528 (June 1st, 2010), twospirits (May 28th, 2010)