Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Acer Iconia Tab A100

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt (can't wait to replace in January), Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default viewing angle

I was pretty excited about this tablet until I actually got it home from Walmart. The viewing angle on it in landscape mode is bad. Add in the not overly great battery life and I'm 90% sure I'll be taking it back to Walmart in the next few days.

For me it would be a keeper even with the poor battery life but I don't want to have to always be adjusting the angle I'm holding it at.

If anyone has any other questions about the tablet I'll be happy to answer them. (although I'm traveling and left it at home so I may not be able to respond until I have it in front of me again on Sunday)

Advertisements
android4ever is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rushmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,851
 
Device(s): S4, iPad Air, Note 2014 10.1, Dell V11 5130, Nvidia Shield. Yes- too many devices.
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 403
Thanked 1,382 Times in 971 Posts
Default

That and the navigator bar taking up about space in landscape mode. Surprised the nav bar was not modded for smaller displays. I thought that was a reason for the delay, but was wrong.

Yes, I posted about this twice, but the nav bar still seems silly, even after the second post.
rushmore is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt (can't wait to replace in January), Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just as an update. I returned this POS on Sunday to Walmart. The screen is absolutely terrible. I wouldn't recommend this thing to anyone. Even if you can look past the screen the battery life is bad and so is the build quality.

Also I know you might not believe me and consider going to Walmart, buying it, and then just returning it if you don't like it, but let me tell you returning something at Walmart (which I had never done before and really hope to never have to do again) was worse than getting my drivers license renewed.
android4ever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 47
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, Acer Iconia A100 7" Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Default

At this point, I am pretty happy with the device except for the stupid NON standard power adapter. All my other electronics charge via USB.
fonewiz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 136
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by android4ever View Post
Also I know you might not believe me and consider going to Walmart, buying it, and then just returning it if you don't like it, but let me tell you returning something at Walmart (which I had never done before and really hope to never have to do again) was worse than getting my drivers license renewed.
Guess you haven't return items at BestBuy before. Maybe it was the way I look, they made me stand and wait 20minutes while they rewind the camera to make sure I brought the item into the store and not stole it from within the store and trying to return it, even though I have the receipt.

Well I drove to 5 different stores and all of them ran out of HP TouchPad. So I bought this Acer, most importantly I want to view ebooks. Turn out I underestimated how crappy and slow PDF format is, regardless the app I use to view them. For video, even installing MoboPlayer, the device lacks codecs so I couldn't play my 720p smoothly as I thought I could. WiFi antenna is absolutely useless, it have trouble getting signal within my own home. I like the device for its form factor though, but I might just have to settle for a better 10" incher.

Edit: Just returned it. Well if you're interested in a tablet with good viewing angle, the Asus Transformer has IPS screen so it should look pretty nice and its only $75 more than the A100. But I should do some more research to see if I can get by with a $250 HP Touchpad from ebay.
someguy43210 is offline  
Last edited by someguy43210; August 24th, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Lennatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA
Gender: Male
Posts: 438
 
Device(s): -Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 368
Thanked 97 Times in 64 Posts
ldalenny8@gmail.com
Default

I am for the most part happy with this tablet. I don't like way I always accidentally hit the home button while in landscape although I'm starting to get used to it.
__________________
Thanks for reading

***Lenny***
Lennatron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rushmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,851
 
Device(s): S4, iPad Air, Note 2014 10.1, Dell V11 5130, Nvidia Shield. Yes- too many devices.
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 403
Thanked 1,382 Times in 971 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy43210 View Post
Guess you haven't return items at BestBuy before. Maybe it was the way I look, they made me stand and wait 20minutes while they rewind the camera to make sure I brought the item into the store and not stole it from within the store and trying to return it, even though I have the receipt.

Well I drove to 5 different stores and all of them ran out of HP TouchPad. So I bought this Acer, most importantly I want to view ebooks. Turn out I underestimated how crappy and slow PDF format is, regardless the app I use to view them. For video, even installing MoboPlayer, the device lacks codecs so I couldn't play my 720p smoothly as I thought I could. WiFi antenna is absolutely useless, it have trouble getting signal within my own home. I like the device for its form factor though, but I might just have to settle for a better 10" incher.

Edit: Just returned it. Well if you're interested in a tablet with good viewing angle, the Asus Transformer has IPS screen so it should look pretty nice and its only $75 more than the A100. But I should do some more research to see if I can get by with a $250 HP Touchpad from ebay.
I have no issues using the Adobe PDF app and open 100mb files with no issue. Not noticing a speed issue on the Thrive or my Droid 3. I did notice they were slower on my gTablet, but that is using 2.2 Android.
rushmore is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sookster54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 906
 
Device(s): HTC Desire, LG Shine Plus, LG Optimus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Wal-Mart is cake when returning stuff, you could even return an empty box with a turd in it for a full refund. Best Buy is quite annoying which is why I rarely ever go there because Future Shop has basically the same stuff and handles returning stuff better.
__________________
Useful Downloads (for root users)
LG Optimus LTE P935 / 2.3.5
HTC Desire / CyanogenMod 7.1
Motorola can kiss my a##
sookster54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sookster54 For This Useful Post:
Droidxxxxx (June 29th, 2012)
Old March 24th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 122
 
Device(s): Samsung: Galaxy Nexus, Fascinate,Charge, Stratosphere, LG: Ally, Intuition Motorola: Pro, Droid 1,2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookster54 View Post
Wal-Mart is cake when returning stuff, you could even return an empty box with a turd in it for a full refund. Best Buy is quite annoying which is why I rarely ever go there because Future Shop has basically the same stuff and handles returning stuff better.
What I find strange about that is Future Shop is owned by best buy lol
JediSamReye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The a100 does have poor battery life and the viewing angle is not great but by no means a deal breaker as I seldom would want to watch a movie at an angle so I don't see why people slam it so hard for this. Now the battery life is a pretty big deal but I can cope for the benefit that you get over other devices. I sold my soul to Apple years ago but dropped my iPad for the freedom that Android offers. I have stopped carrying my MacBook Pro around everywhere in the of the a100 without much inconvenience at all for my needs. I love the mini sd and the ability to access system files that Apple has yet to allow. This tablet and others like it are the highest functioning laptop replacements out there at the moment and for 250.00, it is hard to not accept some of the things that could be improved which Acer seems commuted to investing in. I find the build quality good and the leather cases that are available on eBay for only 15.00 is a must along with a Invisi Shield witch I put on all my devises. For me I love the a100 hope my comments helped.
schillerA100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Acer Iconia Tab A100
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.