Helped UN-Brick a friend's Iconia Tab A500 this weekend.
Thought I should record and share the experience.
We did it the hard way and then discovered the easy way... but the ROM only supports English, French and Arabic Languages. [Reference: Unbrick without Chinese Update ROM]
If you are happy with any of the three languages your un-brick process stops at step 4.
DISCLAIMER: Please use the info below at your own risk with no warranty of any kind.
WARNING: This method must be used as a last resort because you have bricked your tablet. The process is purely experimental and results may not be stable :WARNING
1. download update.acer.zip -> unzip and rename to <update.zip> and copy to root of micro sd card
2. power off Acer A500 Tablet
3. hold power button and volume (-) button (i.e. button closest to power button) until you see a progress bar
4. tablet will reboot into the update.zip (the Chinese update ROM) --> there is also an English Update ROM see References:
- stop here if you are using the English ROM
- Build Number: Acer A500 1.122.01 EMEA GEN5
- Honeycomb 3.01
5. go to <Settings><Language & input> (4th from bottom - the icon with an "A") and select the first option <select language> and then the first option <English> again and this will change the language to English
6. download and install Gingerbreak.apk and Root the Acer tablet, after successful Rooting the Tablet will reboot
7. <unzip> and <copy> system.img (US or EU version) to /sdcard
8. adb shell, su and use dd command to flash system image to blk03 partition
[dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3]
9. The Acer Tablet will reboot, skip the start screen and put the tablet in Airplane Mode (because wifi not working at this point)
10. Unzip and copy the 2 Wifi Modules to sd card and then to /system/lib/modules
(you can install and use Root Explorer.apk to do this or use adb commands)
[#mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system] - read/write access
[#cp bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules]
[#cp scsci_wait_scan.ko /system/lib/modules]
11. Reboot, go to <Settings><Privacy><Factory data reset>
12. Enable Wifi (setup wifi and check wifi connection)
And you are back to stock System ROM
Build 1.141.07 GEN 1 (US)
Build 1.1.139.04 GEN 1 (EU)
XDA Developers - [Dev] System Images
unBRICK your Acer Iconia A500 Tablet
Unbrick without Chinese Update ROM
USA 1.141.07 Update Fix
Update #1 - 31 May 2011
For US Build: 1.141.07 GEN 1 - Acer Iconia Tab A500 with wifi disconnect issues you can now fix this problem with the two wifi modules described above.