Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Acer Iconia Tab A500

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mrhelper

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 203
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Gps

i never try it so far... i have a500 wifi only
but i can guess that i cant use my tablet as gps since it has to use google maps online right?
but there is an app call sygic and it can download maps from tomtom it says.. its a free app
anyone tried this one or i shouldn waste my time on running gps without wifi connection???

Advertisements
brian1984 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
turbo drinker
 
D-U-R-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 16,787
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2), Nexus 7 1st Gen (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2)
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 11,295
Thanked 7,029 Times in 4,306 Posts
Default

I believe that the data connection is only needed if the map needs to refresh. If you were to have all the maps you need already stored locally, then you shouldn't need to have a data connection
__________________
See something that needs Mod attention? Hit and let us know
Free online storage @ Dropbox - use my link & we both get 500MB extra (when you install Dropbox)
D-U-R-X is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 203
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-U-R-X View Post
I believe that the data connection is only needed if the map needs to refresh. If you were to have all the maps you need already stored locally, then you shouldn't need to have a data connection
yes..
thats what i think..
do you know any app do have pre installed maps..
the one i said before wasnt free at the end is asking me for a code....
brian1984 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Try Navfree
martinleebriggs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
turbo drinker
 
D-U-R-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 16,787
 
Device(s): Nexus 4 (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2), Nexus 7 1st Gen (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2)
Carrier: EE

Thanks: 11,295
Thanked 7,029 Times in 4,306 Posts
Default

I am not sure about any that are free... they are usually paid, but would be updated as and when new roads appear. I believe that apps work out cheaper than buying a satnav though

You can pre-cache something like a 10 mile sq area on Google Maps, so could try it out if you liked (on a limited basis anyway)
D-U-R-X is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 26
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

What area of the world do you want maps for? I downloaded CoPilot Live Standard USA for $3.99 from the Google Play store and had maps for all of the US on my tablet for use with my GPS while offline. It works well and gives more rational routing than my Magellan which always seems to want me to take seasonally closed forest trails. Since I plan to use this on longer trips and want to take some unusual routes I paid to upgrade to get drag and drop routing and text to voice. There are other choices to be made, all quite reasonably priced. BTW, I tried a couple free mapping programs and decided I wanted the paid version. Well worth the small price.
RMinMN is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RMinMN For This Useful Post:
pahrump808 (May 19th, 2012)
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 203
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMinMN View Post
What area of the world do you want maps for? I downloaded CoPilot Live Standard USA for $3.99 from the Google Play store and had maps for all of the US on my tablet for use with my GPS while offline. It works well and gives more rational routing than my Magellan which always seems to want me to take seasonally closed forest trails. Since I plan to use this on longer trips and want to take some unusual routes I paid to upgrade to get drag and drop routing and text to voice. There are other choices to be made, all quite reasonably priced. BTW, I tried a couple free mapping programs and decided I wanted the paid version. Well worth the small price.
I m in Florida and really Im not planning to go anymore... so for the moment i gonna use free versions to test it here and when i go out of state i want to know how to use it and not testing on the run...
but i gonna keep that copilot app on mind.
thnks!
brian1984 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 67
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1984 View Post
I m in Florida and really Im not planning to go anymore... so for the moment i gonna use free versions to test it here and when i go out of state i want to know how to use it and not testing on the run...
but i gonna keep that copilot app on mind.
thnks!
You might try NavFreeUsa, Totally free, works well with all my Android devices.It's available in the play store.
Charlesleonard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 200
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Default

If you are into the ICS you might think real hard about messing with the GPS if you don't have to. If you leave the GPS on and aren't using it, it writes text files to your drive and fills it up till it makes your machine unusable. You might want to read some of the other posts on using GPS and drive space before you dable with the GPS.
dbldipp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 203
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldipp View Post
If you are into the ICS you might think real hard about messing with the GPS if you don't have to. If you leave the GPS on and aren't using it, it writes text files to your drive and fills it up till it makes your machine unusable. You might want to read some of the other posts on using GPS and drive space before you dable with the GPS.
I just read this... do you know where this files are stored>?
i cant find the post
brian1984 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 26
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1984 View Post
I just read this... do you know where this files are stored>?
i cant find the post
The GPS text files are stored in /data/gps and it is only accessible by root. That means that you have to root your tablet to erase these files. In a 3 week trip those text files grew to nearly 12GB on my tablet.
RMinMN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 168
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Factory data reset is another way to clear the files for those who prefer not to root...

Post #33 in the thread linked below includes a procedure and script that is handy for removing large numbers of accumulated files from under /data/gps. The method described there requires root privilege.

The thread moved a little off topic and ended up covering quite a bit of ground on the GPS issue: Clearing Cache - what does it do
dbldipp likes this.
Mrhelper is offline  
Last edited by Mrhelper; August 2nd, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrhelper For This Useful Post:
dbldipp (August 2nd, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 200
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 26
Thanked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Default

I was scared to death to Root my tablet so first I tried going back to HC, which I turned my tablet into a brick! A family member brought it back from the dead and returned it to HC for me. I used it a couple of weeks before I realized my tablet and my map program prefered ICS so I did the reinstall of ICS. I then decided to take Mrhelpers advice and root it. I was surprised at how easy it was. One click and it was finished. But if you decide to root, make sure you follow the directions very carefully. You CAN brick it if you do it wroung. I found a set of instructions that were easy to follow and easy to implament. Read all Mrhelper's posts and you will find him to be very versed at keeping you machine in tip top running condition. He has helped many in these forums and deserves a standing ovation for his dedication to helping us.
dbldipp is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dbldipp For This Useful Post:
Mrhelper (August 2nd, 2012)
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Acer Iconia Tab A500
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.