1. Rooted Phone
2. Kernel with cifs.ko (my cifs.ko may possibly be used with stock kernel but is untested)
3. Cifsmanager & RockPlayer (free from market)
4. Phone and pc both on same wifi network.
1. After you have flashed a kernel with cifs.ko download cifsmanager & Rockplayer from market.
2. Cifsmanager seems to have a bug on ally that when you try to launch the app from app drawer it says "app not installed" The work-around is to open it from market.
3. Make sure you have sharing on the folder on your pc you want to stream from.
4. Open cmd prompt on pc and type ' ipconfig /all ' to get your ip address.
5. In cifsmanager app pick add new share.
6. Your share path will be your ip of pc/share name of folder. In this example its 192.168.1.4/Downloads
7. mount point will be /mnt/cifs/Downloads for this example.
8. Enter your username and password for your login on pc and select save share.
9. Under settings in cifsmanager check load cifs module on startup and load via insmod. Path to cifs.ko is /system/lib/modules/cifs.ko (may be diff if you have it on sdcard for stock kernel attempt).
10. Press on the new entry and when green circle appears its mounted. It can now be browsed by file explorers under /mnt/cifs/Downloads.
11. Open rockplayer settings and change root folder path to /mnt and save and exit app. When you reopen it browse up a directory and go to /mnt/cifs/Downloads or whatever you set it as and pick a movie and stream it.
12. When done navigate out of the shared directory in rockplayer/filemanager you used & unmount share via cifsmanager to avoid a reboot if you open file explorer and have it in shared dir and leave the area or go off lan network.
Compatible .29 kernel for ally is here
.32 kernel is in velocity
^ Kernel package is not signed so turn signature verification off in recovery if applicable.
Also worth noting but not for this thread is that this kernel above pulled a 1369 in quadrant on froyo