Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG Ally > Ally - All Things Root

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)
 
savoxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 812
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (CM10 Nightlies) and too many old devices to list
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 259
Thanked 707 Times in 265 Posts
Send a message via MSN to savoxis Send a message via Skype™ to savoxis savoxis@gmail.com
Default A Note on Odexing

So. To all you kids that think ODEXing improves performance:

I just did a series of benchmarks, timed my startup time, then odexed, after I did the same tests. My results where lower in every aspect. The only reason I included an ODEX script in Velocity was because there was so much buzz about it. I always had my doubts. Also with dalvik2cache you save ABSOLUTELY NO space on data by odexing.



...I got sick of seeing people "Odexing to improve performance"

Advertisements
__________________
Come join us on IRC!
The mAndroid Connection
VZW Galaxy Nexus CM9 Nightly
There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
Donate
savoxis is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to savoxis For This Useful Post:
Ally83 (April 5th, 2011), kpedx (March 18th, 2011), lonewulf (March 18th, 2011), Nemesiis (March 18th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old March 17th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 88
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Interesting, and glad you checked because with all the buzz, I considered doing it.
therealciviczc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 463
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 114
Thanked 71 Times in 50 Posts
Default

I find all my ROMs run better when I ODEX them. The benchmark numbers might not show an increase in performance, but my eye test says otherwise. I've never been a big believer in benchmark numbers to begin with. I judge things on how much smoother scrolling is, how much stutter I get when flipping through home screens or bringing down the notification bar, etc. And they all go smoother when ODEX'd.

For that reason, this 'kid' will continue to ODEX.
__________________
HTC Incredible - w/MIUI ROM.
HTC Incredible 2 - w/MIUI ROM.
flyinjoe13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 248
 
Device(s): LG Ally - Retired Droid X- Retired HTC Rezound with Beats!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Default

I noticed an immediate improvement just on the bootloading screen loading a lot faster with it being odexed. I agree that visually it seems more responsive even though the numbers say otherwise
ccsoccer03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
GRZLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Posts: 527
 
Device(s): LG Ally running Rooted Froyo 2.2.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 211 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinjoe13 View Post
I find all my ROMs run better when I ODEX them. The benchmark numbers might not show an increase in performance, but my eye test says otherwise. I've never been a big believer in benchmark numbers to begin with. I judge things on how much smoother scrolling is, how much stutter I get when flipping through home screens or bringing down the notification bar, etc. And they all go smoother when ODEX'd.

For that reason, this 'kid' will continue to ODEX.
This is just like the unthrottle your ally's speed thing. Sure you see more room on your phone but that doesn't mean better performance.

This is one of those things thats just a placebo effect if you ask me.
GRZLA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
swc2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): Droid Bionic, Droid 4, Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet (16GB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 230
Thanked 234 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRZLA View Post
This is just like the unthrottle your ally's speed thing. Sure you see more room on your phone but that doesn't mean better performance.

This is one of those things thats just a placebo effect if you ask me.
Ask Death2all110 abouth that "Placebo" for the Unthrottled.zip
See what he says.
__________________
Itís bio-digital jazz, man!!
swc2001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
GRZLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Posts: 527
 
Device(s): LG Ally running Rooted Froyo 2.2.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 211 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swc2001 View Post
Ask Death2all110 abouth that "Placebo" for the Unthrottled.zip
See what he says.
I was using that as an example to say its a placebo effect people are feeling when odexing, for once can you try to stay on topic?
GRZLA is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GRZLA For This Useful Post:
myfishbear (March 18th, 2011)
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY USA
Posts: 905
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Samsung Fascinate, Viewsonic G-Tablet, B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 99 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Funny, from all the stuff I read, odexing slows things down (Except for first boot), and makes themeing difficult.

It's why most ROM's for other devices come "De-odexed", or so I thought.
__________________
LG Ally, ClockWorkMod + Velocity 0.4
Samsung Fascinate, EB01 Debloated Deodexed
Viewsonic GTablet, VEGAn 4.1
PSkeptic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
swc2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,005
 
Device(s): Droid Bionic, Droid 4, Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet (16GB)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 230
Thanked 234 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRZLA View Post
I was using that as an example to say its a placebo effect people are feeling when odexing, for once can you try to stay on topic?
Hey you surly cat. You brought it up brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRZLA View Post
This is just like the unthrottle your ally's speed thing.
It just shows you using a topic you misunderstood before, to make your point in this topic.

This will be the last you hear from me on what you said. So I guess that opens the door for you to have the last say.

You know what they say about arguing on the Internet and all.
swc2001 is offline  
Last edited by swc2001; March 18th, 2011 at 09:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY USA
Posts: 905
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Samsung Fascinate, Viewsonic G-Tablet, B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 99 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinjoe13 View Post
I find all my ROMs run better when I ODEX them. The benchmark numbers might not show an increase in performance, but my eye test says otherwise. I've never been a big believer in benchmark numbers to begin with. I judge things on how much smoother scrolling is, how much stutter I get when flipping through home screens or bringing down the notification bar, etc. And they all go smoother when ODEX'd.

For that reason, this 'kid' will continue to ODEX.
I'm not sure how that would work.

Odexing basically pre-caches the Dalvik bytecode, which usually happens when you boot the phone (For apps that start at system boot), or at first launch of the app.

The only reason you see a couple of things happening faster at first, is because Android doesn't need to build the Dalvik cache for the app. After that, it's the exact same speed, since the dex files are just pre-done bytecode.
PSkeptic is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 38
 
Device(s): Droid Incredible 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I only did it because I had about 15 MB of internal space left. After Odexing I was up to 60 MB.
__________________
Polygonous
NickAVV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
AndroidKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 385
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy Nexus | Liquid ICS 1.35 Nook Color | ICS cm9 nightly kang
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 75 Times in 50 Posts
amberoze@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAVV View Post
I only did it because I had about 15 MB of internal space left. After Odexing I was up to 60 MB.

Did you try Dalvik to Cache first?
__________________
GNexus | Rooted/Locked | Liquid ICS 1.35
Nook Color | Rooted eMMC | Latest CM9 Nightly
AndroidKris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 463
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 114
Thanked 71 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSkeptic View Post
I'm not sure how that would work.

Odexing basically pre-caches the Dalvik bytecode, which usually happens when you boot the phone (For apps that start at system boot), or at first launch of the app.

The only reason you see a couple of things happening faster at first, is because Android doesn't need to build the Dalvik cache for the app. After that, it's the exact same speed, since the dex files are just pre-done bytecode.
Maybe so, but as I said, I judge things by the eye test and everything runs smoother to my eyes when ODEX'd.
flyinjoe13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Nemesiis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sacra-tomato, CA
Posts: 52
 
Device(s): HTC Amaze
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 145
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default odex no bueno

When I attempted to odex in order to improve performance it was a giant FAIL.

Velocity 1.0 had been running perfectly but after odexing I kept getting force closes on any virtual keyboard I attempted to use.

I had failed to make a nandroid before odexing so I had to reflash.

I do NOT recommend odexing!
Nemesiis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinjoe13 View Post
Maybe so, but as I said, I judge things by the eye test and everything runs smoother to my eyes when ODEX'd.
So you rely on no test at all? Hang on, I have a $5000 power cord to sell you ...

NickAVV's reasoning is interesting, though.

{edit}I wasted my delurk on this? Damn --;{/edit}
ZekeSulastin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Saying that ODEXing makes your phone faster via the "eye test" is like saying that a baseball player has good intangibles...

As far as I'm concerned, if you can't mathematically quantify something, it doesn't exist...
jake_harv88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

How do you mathematically quantify love, compassion, or even life? You, sir, are out of reason.

On topic though, only apps that are installed should receive the benefit (if there even is one)
lomar24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Idunno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 352
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Motorola Droid X (retired) - LG Ally (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 94
Thanked 88 Times in 52 Posts
Default

I think I may have ODEX'ed my phone inadvertently whilst fiddling around with the scripts... how would I tell / how would I deodex if this is the case?
__________________
Samsung Galaxy Nexus || 4.2.2 || AOKP || 'nuff said
*****************
Know your role and shut your mouth.
Idunno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KingOfGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 842
 
Device(s): VZW GNEX Retired: LG Ally
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 58
Thanked 179 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunno View Post
I think I may have ODEX'ed my phone inadvertently whilst fiddling around with the scripts... how would I tell / how would I deodex if this is the case?

I dont know how you could check that, but the only way back is to restore a nandroid or reflash the ROM
KingOfGreen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY USA
Posts: 905
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Samsung Fascinate, Viewsonic G-Tablet, B&N Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 99 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomar24 View Post
How do you mathematically quantify love, compassion, or even life? You, sir, are out of reason.

On topic though, only apps that are installed should receive the benefit (if there even is one)
That's easy. Brain scans will show heightened activity from any emotional response. Differing emotional responses show different activity patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunno View Post
I think I may have ODEX'ed my phone inadvertently whilst fiddling around with the scripts... how would I tell / how would I deodex if this is the case?
Look in /system/apps. If you see any files in there with an extension of "dex", you've odexed your phone. If you see none, then you are de-odexed
PSkeptic is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 131
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 60
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSkeptic View Post
That's easy. Brain scans will show heightened activity from any emotional response. Differing emotional responses show different activity patterns.


All I can say is LOL...

I'm glad I hopped back on here for a quick laugh.
jrock204657 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default De-Odexing a ROM image..

FYI, there are kitchens out there to help with this so you are not forced to run the commands on each file. Also, they import not only Stock and "custom" ROM zips but usually nandroid backups as well. For instance I have a Cliq XT and use the dsixda kitchen and right under the advanced menu it asks if you want to de-odex [or odex I believe] your system/framework [and/or] system/app. Now if you want to try this I would definitely leave system/app un odexed [it changes all the time and as stated before dalvick cache will cover this on boot [even if you blank your dalvick it is re-built on next boot anyways [great for clearing FCs if you are getting a bunch and fix perms does not seem to fix em all], but a little off topic sorry. Anyways the framework on the other hand does not change so if you wanted you could leave it odexed to give a benefitted initial boot as the system would only need to gen byte codes for the apps folder while still not having nearly as many app issues [of course if your themes use framework calls you may still see some of the issues, but hey nandroid backup and test away. Also, this whole my eye is better than a benchmark BS is funny. You are most likely seeing the benefit of not building bytecode, but your phone is really no faster. You just happen to know what you should see with dexing and you are thinking you are seeing a benefit after all that work of getting your ROM and dexing and reading what some folks are saying. Benchmarks on the other hand do not care how much work you put in on your ROM or what the next guy says on the internet it just tests what is there the same way [with in reason come on if there are settings you change then obviously the results change use common sense and don't nit pick please] everytime. and btw who cares if the first boot takes an extra couple min or a boot after a ton of installs if it mmeans my ROM is smaller to save me bandwidth and space and is going to do the SAME THING anyways without adding the extra space dex files do [not much granted but space is space on a mobile platform such as a phone]. It's just like for instance if you need an example if I asked you to count to 30 - 5 times each time you would be off one way or the other prolly by a couple seconds, whereas if you ask a computer to do the samething it MIGHT be off by a mili-second [again this is for nit pickers who will say what about drift [which MOSTLY comes form heavy CPU usage and VERY rarely your crystal [quartz used to count drifts but thats like a mili second every couple years, Basically you get my point and while you may not like it the computer is WAY more accurate in counting and benching than the human eye. Also back to the subject here is example output from dsixda kitchen:


Going into system/framework ...

Trying this version of baksmali/smali:
baksmali-1.2.6.jar
smali-1.2.6.jar


NOW AT FILE 1 OF 18 IN system/framework: am.odex
Disassembling am.odex ...
java -Xmx512m -jar baksmali.jar -d ../framework -x am.odex
Assembling into classes.dex ...
java -Xmx512m -jar smali.jar -o classes.dex out
Found am.jar
Removing am.odex ...
Put classes.dex into am.jar ...
realpariah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 9
 
Device(s): LG-Ally, OG Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoxis View Post
So. To all you kids that think ODEXing improves performance:

I just did a series of benchmarks, timed my startup time, then odexed, after I did the same tests. My results where lower in every aspect. The only reason I included an ODEX script in Velocity was because there was so much buzz about it. I always had my doubts. Also with dalvik2cache you save ABSOLUTELY NO space on data by odexing.



...I got sick of seeing people "Odexing to improve performance"
the only thing ive ever heard on odexing a rom, would improve boot time, when you odex a rom, it caches everything that boots but not anything else; so benchmarks would not show an improvement unless you could bench boot times. so things that are set to boot such as your launcher would show your icons faster, nothing more nothing less. however i could be wrong...
Kold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)
 
savoxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 812
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (CM10 Nightlies) and too many old devices to list
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 259
Thanked 707 Times in 265 Posts
Send a message via MSN to savoxis Send a message via Skype™ to savoxis savoxis@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kold View Post
the only thing ive ever heard on odexing a rom, would improve boot time, when you odex a rom, it caches everything that boots but not anything else; so benchmarks would not show an improvement unless you could bench boot times. so things that are set to boot such as your launcher would show your icons faster, nothing more nothing less. however i could be wrong...
An odexed rom stores executable code in /system/app along-side the apk files.
A deodexed rom stores executable code in /data/dalvik-cache.

This is the difference.
It doesnt cache only things that boot - only applications in /system/app are odexed, and all of them are odexed. Basically odexing will rearrange the files among your partitions, allowing you for more space on mtdblock4 and makes it so you dont get force closes when you theme. Its not done for performance.

And I did time my startup speed.
savoxis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 05:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 48
 
Device(s): Razr Maxx(current), Samsung stratosphere 4G, LG vortex, Droid eris rooted GSB 3.4 froyo rom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAVV View Post
I only did it because I had about 15 MB of internal space left. After Odexing I was up to 60 MB.
My Eris only had about 9MB of storage left, before flashing GSB which is odex'd. Now it has 107MB available. No lag whatsoever. I'm also using the blue bionic theme with no problems.
tsandroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): Droid eris, LG Ally
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
robbiemeadoes94@gmail.com
Default

deodex and odex is just like choosing white or wheat bread. Some people prefer one while other people prefer the other. You get annoyed at first then you just released people are who they wanna be then you just accept the fact that even though you like white bread your best friend eats with wheat bread, you two are best friends <3
< RoMe > is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:38 AM   #27 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)
 
savoxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 812
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (CM10 Nightlies) and too many old devices to list
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 259
Thanked 707 Times in 265 Posts
Send a message via MSN to savoxis Send a message via Skype™ to savoxis savoxis@gmail.com
Default

Who would have thought this thread would be revived so many times.

I just removed the odex option from the scripts, you wont see the change until I update to 39 officially. The reason for this is there is simply not enough room on the system partition anymore. ODEXing on Velocity > 1.1 will result in boot loops unless you remove a bunch of system apks first.

I may put it back in the future, but right now its more of a liability than a feature. It wouldnt be difficult to have to doublecheck and make sure you have enough room. But having the ability just confuses people it seems.
savoxis is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savoxis For This Useful Post:
ltdanno (January 8th, 2012)
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG Ally > Ally - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.