Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG Ally > Ally - All Things Root

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 9
 
Device(s): LG-Ally, OG Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Safe mode

so i guess i stumbled upon this today, i recieved a text and all of the sudden my phone shut off and kept rebooting until i removed the battery, once i reinstalled the battery and tried again i got the same result.

the problem was with my launcher (go launcher ex), when it tried to load the icons for my home screen(s) it would for whatever reason, reboot my phone.

well after my phone restarted i tried to boot into recovery to wipe the cache and such.

WELL i guess i hit home+menu+up on the D-Pad a little too late, but what i noticed was almost a hidden feature that comes with velocity?

safe mode

it booted my phone without starting anything automatically (advanced task killer, go launcher) and so i was able to clear the data for Go Launcher EX, and after rebooting one last time, my phone started up just fine.

just thought this might be helpful for someone who never knew it was there, or a possible solution to boot loop.

i held it down right after the new velocity splash screen and just before the boot animation.

HOPE THIS HELPS!! =]

Advertisements
Kold is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KingOfGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 842
 
Device(s): VZW GNEX Retired: LG Ally
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 58
Thanked 179 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kold View Post
so i guess i stumbled upon this today, i recieved a text and all of the sudden my phone shut off and kept rebooting until i removed the battery, once i reinstalled the battery and tried again i got the same result.

the problem was with my launcher (go launcher ex), when it tried to load the icons for my home screen(s) it would for whatever reason, reboot my phone.

well after my phone restarted i tried to boot into recovery to wipe the cache and such.

WELL i guess i hit home+menu+up on the D-Pad a little too late, but what i noticed was almost a hidden feature that comes with velocity?

safe mode

it booted my phone without starting anything automatically (advanced task killer, go launcher) and so i was able to clear the data for Go Launcher EX, and after rebooting one last time, my phone started up just fine.

just thought this might be helpful for someone who never knew it was there, or a possible solution to boot loop.

i held it down right after the new velocity splash screen and just before the boot animation.

HOPE THIS HELPS!! =]

This is completely unrelated to your post but if you are using task killers, DON'T it's a waste of space and will do you no good.
KingOfGreen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 9
 
Device(s): LG-Ally, OG Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Really? I always felt like they helped and most of the time I could tell the difference. What's not good with the task killers?
Kold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KingOfGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 842
 
Device(s): VZW GNEX Retired: LG Ally
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 58
Thanked 179 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kold View Post
Really? I always felt like they helped and most of the time I could tell the difference. What's not good with the task killers?

With task killers, you kill processes that will open back up anyway. And when they do it will use the cpu and drain your battery. It takes the same amount of battery juice and cpu to hold something in memory as it does to have that space free. Also having things held in memory will mean they open ALOT more quickly and you will use LESS battery and cpu because it doesnt have to keep reopening them. Unless you have a runaway, poorly written app thats eating resources in the background you have nothing to gain by killing off tasks. And if you have an app doing that youre better of removing it. AndroidOS was built from the ground up to manage its own memory. As you need more it will close off what you arent using. You can google the subject and find plenty of articles explaining this better than i can but in short, do away with the task killers. They hinder the ability of the os to operate the way it was intended.
KingOfGreen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
death2all110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois, US
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,995
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4; LG Spectrum
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 163
Thanked 1,206 Times in 487 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to death2all110 deatheatergrim@gmail.com
Default

Safe mode has been on the phone since it was first released. holding the OK key down does it usually. Did you have anything like widgets or even the launcher moved to the SD card?
__________________
I help maintain CM11 for the LG Spectrum.

LG VX8300>LG Decoy>LG Dare>LG Ally>Droid2>LG Ally>HTC Droid Incredible>HTC Thunderbolt>HTC Droid Incredible>Samsung Galaxy Nexus>LG Spectrum>Moto Droid RAZR Maxx>Samsung Galaxy S4


I'm located in: Computers&IT, LG Spectrum, XDA Developers; AllyIRC My Blog


Please press button, and please consider donating to my energy drink fund.Thanks!
death2all110 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 04:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 9
 
Device(s): LG-Ally, OG Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2all110 View Post
Safe mode has been on the phone since it was first released. holding the OK key down does it usually. Did you have anything like widgets or even the launcher moved to the SD card?
no actually i didnt, all my stuff that boots with the phone, including widgets was on the phone. the only stuff thats on the sd card would be games and misc apps that i only use occasionally.
Kold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
boot loop safe mode velocity launcher fix hidden


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG Ally > Ally - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.