Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Android Applications All the information you could ever want about Android Applications. Learn about apps and get help with them... all here! New apps can be found and announced in the Applications Announcements forum linked below.

New Forums: Nexus 6 | Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default xScope, a multitouch pinch zoom browser

Spent 2 weeks poking around Android SDKs and sacrificed last two weekends and finally managed to get a relatively stable version today. Named 'xScope', I did put a $2.99 price tag tough if you please excuse me. I need to buy a bird for this thanksgiving and wife kept bashing my development effort for not doing any housework in the past weeks. The browser is not full blown but works great for simple surfing. Happy holidays and have fun!

Advertisements
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xScope For This Useful Post:
Bob Denny (September 29th, 2010), Kafecik (July 27th, 2010), mobfest (June 21st, 2010)
sponsored links
Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 60
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

what do you mean by not full blown
demarco5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

It doesn't have many options. The only option you have right now is setting a home page, where you can set favorite links. I am going to shoot a video on how it works. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by demarco5 View Post
what do you mean by not full blown
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

YouTube - xScopeZoomDemo.wmv
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

New Update:
1. Added customizable home page and most recent histories.
2. Video support.
Please note: it does NOT collect any user data, nor using any third party servers. The pinch-zoom is truly gradually scaled.
Attached Images
File Type: png home2.png (48.4 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg show2.jpg (29.4 KB, 172 views)
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default update

Is the new update, the version up right now on Android market?
bobohood is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobohood For This Useful Post:
cujo6801 (October 11th, 2010)
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Yes. Search xScope.
The pinch-zoom functionality should be the best so far (11/29/2009) in the current android market. Other products in the market zoom either 1.25 or 0.8 from center of your screen (same as default zoom buttons). xScope zooms from the middle of your two spots and scales smoothly based on the finger span.
With the 24 Hours return policy, you can always download and try first. If not satisfied, return and get 100% refund with a click a button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobohood View Post
Is the new update, the version up right now on Android market?
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

A Lite version has been released as free app.
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

New video:
YouTube - xScope browser - 3 ways to zoom
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Dolphin Browser (multi-touch)

try the Dolphin Browser, it is a full version & free. I've been using it for a week now and love it. There is so much more you can do with it than the default browser. Pinch zoom works great!
lumnative is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 89
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid, BlackBerry Bold 9700, HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumnative View Post
try the Dolphin Browser, it is a full version & free. I've been using it for a week now and love it. There is so much more you can do with it than the default browser. Pinch zoom works great!
Way to take over the devs thread...

On the actual topic.. xscope is nice man! bought it and use it regularly.
iamkewl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 265
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: ATT

Thanks: 14
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Default

That does look pretty nice
Dragoro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lover
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xScope View Post
Spent 2 weeks poking around Android SDKs and sacrificed last two weekends and finally managed to get a relatively stable version today. Named 'xScope', I did put a $2.99 price tag tough if you please excuse me. I need to buy a bird for this thanksgiving and wife kept bashing my development effort for not doing any housework in the past weeks. The browser is not full blown but works great for simple surfing. Happy holidays and have fun!
Lol, nice. Will take advantage of the trial to give this a go now.

Edit, is it still on the market, if so any chance of a QR code as I can't find it.
lekky is offline  
Last edited by lekky; December 8th, 2009 at 05:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Droidn00b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 145
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 93
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

This looks like a great app! I'll be giving it a try and will probably buy it if it works as well as your videos show. Thanks!
Droidn00b is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

12/15 update:
New GUI (forward and favorite buttons are included);
More robust zoom.
This is a transitional update. Tab support is coming soon on the next update.
Thank you for your support.
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

fantastic browser! loads pages faster than the default browser.

Ive noticed on my droid's keyboard, hitting enter/return after entering text in the address bar, tabs down the page. Is this on purpose?

Thanks
glentendo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vincentp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,640
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 59 Times in 50 Posts
Send a message via AIM to vincentp
Default

I'll give it a shot and let you know what I think. I tried Dolphin's pinch zoom and was totally unimpressed. If you've managed to make it work effectively I may be willing to switch from the default browser for certain things. I'm not a big fan of pinch zoom for all purposes and websites, but if it works well, what the hell.
vincentp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 55
 
Device(s): motodroid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

This shows a lot of promise. The pinch zoom is flawless and seems to be pretty snappy loading pages. Is this the only browser that hides the home notification bar? The default browser and dolphin don't seem to by default at least.

Frankly I'd like to be able to quickly slide the browser notification bar in and out as well to use as much screen real estate as possible. I keep hoping for some sort of transparent overlay with the standard browser commands, e.g. back, forward, home, bookmark, refresh, stop, new tab, that would otherwise be hidden.

When I type in a URL and hit the arrow it always goes to google? I don't quite get that. Is there some other way to go to a URL directly besides the home page?

Anyhow, I hope you continue to make this more robust.

What's the list of features the full version has that Lite doesn't?
phwaap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Thanks glentendo.
There is an update to solve it at about 3:00PM. You probably need to search with a different keyword, such as 'xscope zoom', to clear android market's cache to get newer version.
Tabs should be hidden at this point because they are not fully implemented yet. The reason behind having tabs is that sometime we just need to open links in new windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glentendo View Post
fantastic browser! loads pages faster than the default browser.

Ive noticed on my droid's keyboard, hitting enter/return after entering text in the address bar, tabs down the page. Is this on purpose?

Thanks
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

It is indeed tough to decide on what to show in a so small screen. I like your ideas of handling notifications. I will think about how to implement it.
The browser tries to mimic google's Chrome, where you can simply type in some keywords in the textbox and let google handle the rest of it. I need to work on a good parser to recognize URLs to directly visit.
Full version allows more histories and bookmarks right now. There will be more features for the full version, such as tabs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phwaap View Post
This shows a lot of promise. The pinch zoom is flawless and seems to be pretty snappy loading pages. Is this the only browser that hides the home notification bar? The default browser and dolphin don't seem to by default at least.

Frankly I'd like to be able to quickly slide the browser notification bar in and out as well to use as much screen real estate as possible. I keep hoping for some sort of transparent overlay with the standard browser commands, e.g. back, forward, home, bookmark, refresh, stop, new tab, that would otherwise be hidden.

When I type in a URL and hit the arrow it always goes to google? I don't quite get that. Is there some other way to go to a URL directly besides the home page?

Anyhow, I hope you continue to make this more robust.

What's the list of features the full version has that Lite doesn't?
xScope is offline  
Last edited by xScope; December 15th, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Have you tried 'Pin Zoom'? Basically, with one finger, 1. tap the screen, 2. quickly press the same spot second time only not to release it, 3. drag/sweep right to zoom in and left to zoom out. I find it very convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentp View Post
I'll give it a shot and let you know what I think. I tried Dolphin's pinch zoom and was totally unimpressed. If you've managed to make it work effectively I may be willing to switch from the default browser for certain things. I'm not a big fan of pinch zoom for all purposes and websites, but if it works well, what the hell.
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would also love to see something like this, maybe instead of a transparent overlay, magnified glass button could be used to put the browser in "fullscreen mode" much like pressing F11 on modern browsers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phwaap View Post
Frankly I'd like to be able to quickly slide the browser notification bar in and out as well to use as much screen real estate as possible. I keep hoping for some sort of transparent overlay with the standard browser commands, e.g. back, forward, home, bookmark, refresh, stop, new tab, that would otherwise be hidden.
glentendo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Great idea! Something in the right corner to either make it full-screen or windowed. Thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glentendo View Post
I would also love to see something like this, maybe instead of a transparent overlay, magnified glass button could be used to put the browser in "fullscreen mode" much like pressing F11 on modern browsers.
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Lover
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default

Do you have a QR code, I can't find it, unless its not available to the UK
lekky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 55
 
Device(s): motodroid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glentendo View Post
I would also love to see something like this, maybe instead of a transparent overlay, magnified glass button could be used to put the browser in "fullscreen mode" much like pressing F11 on modern browsers.
What got me to thinking about this was how it covers the notification bar (which I like.) Exactly like F11. What would be useful in that mode would be to have the nav buttons easily fade in or out without switching modes. Something like the default picture Gallery does. Or perhaps (forgive me for mentioning a competitor xScope) a small corner button like dolphin that could be pressed/swiped out and, instead of gestures, just buttons and maybe the location box that would disappear when clicked.

Just tossing some stuff out there.
phwaap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Added 'Toggle Fullscreen' option in the menu for a quick work around temporarily. Meantime, the 'Add Favorite' option is removed from the menu.
I hope you won't be annoyed by the update again.
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dasudevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 609
 
Device(s): Mytouch 4G White (Stock) Acer Iconia A500 (stock)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
dasudevil
Default

I am unable to fomd the app. Searched xscope xscope zoom. Am I messing something
__________________
dASUdevil
WHITE HTC Amaze Rooted w/ help from xXchrizhurtyXx MANY THANKS!!!!
spareSOLD IT
Acer Iconia Tab A500[/URL]
dasudevil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I sometimes couldn't search it either. I am baffled sometimes because Google is supposed to be very strong at searching.
Try 'Zoom Browser'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasudevil View Post
I am unable to fomd the app. Searched xscope xscope zoom. Am I messing something
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
Lover
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default

is it only available for 1.6+ or something?
lekky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I for one don't mind the updates one bit. It is actually pretty awesome watching this app develope. Cheers to you xScope for keeping an open mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xScope View Post
Added 'Toggle Fullscreen' option in the menu for a quick work around temporarily. Meantime, the 'Add Favorite' option is removed from the menu.
I hope you won't be annoyed by the update again.
glentendo is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dasudevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 609
 
Device(s): Mytouch 4G White (Stock) Acer Iconia A500 (stock)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
dasudevil
Default

I have 1.6 and still nothing.
dasudevil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

lekky and dasudevil,
It is compiled as 2.0 app. That might explain why you can't find it. I don't think the android SDK 1.5 or 1.6 support multitouch. However, I will compile a version 1.5 or 1.6 supporting pin zoom in the future.
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nueva York
Posts: 28
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to thenapolitan
Default

I love this!
thenapolitan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #34 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 88
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

So as a Dolphin browser user, I've jumped over to xScope because:

1. Seems faster
2. Cleaner interface
3. More attractive
4. Smoother loading / rendering
5. Smoother pinch to zoom

You just got my 3 bucks about 40 minutes ago.

As you handle feature requests, try to maintain those 5 characteristics because right now it's what's making it so appealing.

Might I suggest as a logo that you use a lens with a faint x on it?

I think you could have a real winner here if you continue development with an eye towards reliability, simplicity of aesthetic, clean and intuitive UI. But what do I know? Nothing. Keep doing your thing.
droiiiiid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 43
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This thing is really starting to look good. I love the pinch and touch zoom! I just need a better way of making favorites and a way to make a shortcut of a favorite.

Can you make a new home screen or is it always set to the favorites list?

Also, the buttons on the top bar are pretty small. I have a hard time hitting them accurately.
Lancedroid is offline  
Last edited by Lancedroid; December 16th, 2009 at 12:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #36 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 26
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

pretty new droid owner here, and i'm a real big fan of that tap&drag-zoom ability. wasn't impressed with dolphin's pinch.

fwiw, congrats on creating the first app i paid anything for
nobiggie is offline  
Last edited by nobiggie; December 16th, 2009 at 03:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #37 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This is my second paid for app. I think its money well spent concidering the browser choices out there, I've tried everything else and this is the only one I didn't uninstall after 30 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobiggie View Post
pretty new droid owner here, and i'm a real big fan of that tap&drag-zoom ability. wasn't impressed with dolphin's pinch.

fwiw, congrats on creating the first app i paid anything for
glentendo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #38 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 29
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

How do I set Xscope Browser to be the default browser?
Verio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #39 (permalink)
Lover
 
lekky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,252
 
Device(s): Asus EeePad Transformer - Samsung Galaxy Mini - SE Xperia Arc - SE Xperia Play - Samsung Galaxy SII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,295 Times in 490 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xScope View Post
lekky and dasudevil,
It is compiled as 2.0 app. That might explain why you can't find it. I don't think the android SDK 1.5 or 1.6 support multitouch. However, I will compile a version 1.5 or 1.6 supporting pin zoom in the future.
Yeah 1.5 with the hero here. The 1.5 SDK does support multi-touch. I have multi-touch using the dolphin browser.
lekky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

You know, both user's supports and critics are critical. Big thanks to you guys!
We are on the same page regarding those 5 characteristics. I spent all my weekends just to experimenting what size of button is right, what buttons should be on the screen, what colors ...
I will redesign the logo and publish it with next update. Or anyone want to help design one
Quote:
Originally Posted by droiiiiid View Post
So as a Dolphin browser user, I've jumped over to xScope because:

1. Seems faster
2. Cleaner interface
3. More attractive
4. Smoother loading / rendering
5. Smoother pinch to zoom

You just got my 3 bucks about 40 minutes ago.

As you handle feature requests, try to maintain those 5 characteristics because right now it's what's making it so appealing.

Might I suggest as a logo that you use a lens with a faint x on it?

I think you could have a real winner here if you continue development with an eye towards reliability, simplicity of aesthetic, clean and intuitive UI. But what do I know? Nothing. Keep doing your thing.
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

thank you.
I usually hold my device with one hand and use my thumb to navigate. In this case, the tap&drag zoom is handy and I can't use 'pinch zoom' because it requires two fingers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobiggie View Post
pretty new droid owner here, and i'm a real big fan of that tap&drag-zoom ability. wasn't impressed with dolphin's pinch.

fwiw, congrats on creating the first app i paid anything for
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I will dig deeper. The multitouch support for pre 2.0 might be from third parties (non standard SDK libraries). I had read the MotionEvent document and couldn't find the functions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekky View Post
Yeah 1.5 with the hero here. The 1.5 SDK does support multi-touch. I have multi-touch using the dolphin browser.
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #43 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Verio,
I will make this as a user's option in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
How do I set Xscope Browser to be the default browser?
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xScope For This Useful Post:
rcaine (March 27th, 2010)
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #44 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

The home screen will be redesigned in the future update. The screen itself is actually an HTML file. So we have plenty of room to make it nicer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancedroid View Post
This thing is really starting to look good. I love the pinch and touch zoom! I just need a better way of making favorites and a way to make a shortcut of a favorite.

Can you make a new home screen or is it always set to the favorites list?

Also, the buttons on the top bar are pretty small. I have a hard time hitting them accurately.
xScope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #45 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
detroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 95
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Def. going to DL this soon
detroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
smacinskyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 95
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Razr
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

well im sold im uninstalling dolphin browser and buying your full Version. The free version works much mor seamlessly than dolphin. This is money well spent in my opinnion. keep up the good work, and by the way im going to change my rating on dolphin and change my comment to endorse xscope.
smacinskyjr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
smacinskyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 95
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Razr
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I feel stupid for asking this, but i have forgotten how to do it! Can some one please remind me how to set this up as the default browser?
smacinskyjr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 88
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacinskyjr View Post
I feel stupid for asking this, but i have forgotten how to do it! Can some one please remind me how to set this up as the default browser?
There's not currently a way to do that. It's part of what the dev is working on for the next version.
droiiiiid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #49 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 88
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xScope View Post
You know, both user's supports and critics are critical. Big thanks to you guys!
We are on the same page regarding those 5 characteristics. I spent all my weekends just to experimenting what size of button is right, what buttons should be on the screen, what colors ...
I will redesign the logo and publish it with next update. Or anyone want to help design one
Awesome. Keep up the good work.

As for the logo, here's kind of what I had in mind:

Paint.NET/Contents/Tutorials/RoundGlassButtons - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

But instead of it being green with a chunky x, it'd look like glass and have a very slender x that followed the same contour as the lens, like it was etched in.

It's good because lens = zooming, clarity, focus; glass= smooth, simple, classic, elegant; and x = target, precision. It also fits your name, of course.

The one thing I don't like about what I've linked to here is that it's a straight-on view. It'd be better if it were seen from a slight angle.

Just tossing some stuff out their. Anyone with photochops want to try to mock something up for our dev friend?

Or as an alternative, go for a glass-looking lens/globe thing. The map of earth is a ubiquitous browser icon, so it'd be good their. Then add a glint of light in the shape of an 'X'. I might actually like that one better.
droiiiiid is offline  
Last edited by droiiiiid; December 16th, 2009 at 03:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #50 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 88
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

And one more thing, pin-zoom might be worth trying to patent. It's a brilliant way to do zoom on a mobile where only one hand is available.
droiiiiid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Discussion > Android Applications
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.